Houston Astros 2023 Season on a daily roll

And right on cue the pen is back at again smh

1 Like

I taught my son to freeze on a line drive for a split secondā€¦ā€¦when he was 6ā€¦. Just watched major leaguer take off runningā€¦. And it wasnā€™t a hit and runā€¦.fundamentals.

ā€œShort sample sizeā€?

30+ games since the All-star break (1/5 of the season). Wet the bed again tonight.

I donā€™t know what games youā€™re watching but the pen is a MAJOR concern right now.

1 Like

I watch every single game. The bullpen has had a less than stellar stretch, Iā€™ll give you that but much of it is luck related (Astros have the highest BABiP in baseball over that stretch). The underlying numbers are still quite good (k/9, xFIP, etc).

A lot of the struggles have been by guys that may not even make the postseason roster (Maton, Smith).

Control is the issue. The relievers are falling behind in the count too often. If it is a high leverage situation, make the other guy sweat,

The rotation is as good of a rotation as we have ever had.

There may be some tired arms as wellā€¦ā€¦earlier this season Abreu was 98-100 with the fastballā€¦ā€¦Montero was 97-99ā€¦both those guys are down a few ticks.

I never faced triple digitsā€¦.but believe me when I tell you as a hitter 93-94 I had a more positive mindset than when the guy was blowing upper 90ā€™sā€¦.does not seem like a big deal but it is.

1 Like

Okā€¦ itā€™s a long-shot but the Astros are in sole possession of the second best record.

The Dodgers have a 7 game advantage with just under forty to play. The Dodgers have roughly 18 games to play vs playoff level teamsā€¦about 9 with San Diego I think. A couple of series with Milwaukee. And a couple with St Louis. A bunch vs SF.

If the Dodgers win 60% of remaining games and the Astros win 71% we pass them the last week of the season. We need the Dodgers to go 6-4 on average every 10 games. 7-3 is doable by the Astros. 8-2 on some 10 game stretches.

I donā€™t want to face the Braves until the LCSā€¦if at all. I think they are the most dangerous team in baseball. More dangerous than NYM or the NYY. And given the chance I think they would beat the LAD.

Agree, itā€™s kinda like earthquakes. The increase is exponential and not incremental.

For example hitting of 70 vs. 100 isnā€™t ~40% harder or 90 vs. 99 ~10%. Same applies in the 5.0 vs. 7.5 earthquake.

1 Like

Pressly to IL with neck spasmsā€¦

Tucker day to day with sore foot.

Chas day to day with fingerā€¦

Canā€™t wait to see todayā€™s lineup. šŸ«¤

1 Like

My boy Mancini doin work with the skeleton crew.

1 Like

Hey but at least we got that sweep you were asking for

1 Like

Sweep the Orioles

2 Likes

Listening to Houston sports radio today, an sports announcer commented that Mancini and Vazquez should be playing more regularly. Also stated that Maldonado gets too much preferential treatment from Dusty Baker.

Maldonado is a very good defensive catcher, but so is Vazquez. The big difference between them is Vazquez is batting .291 and Maldonado is hitting .188.

There is a part of me that believes that Dusty Baker will blow this opportunity to win a WS because of his sense of loyalty towards his players over those recently acquired.

3 Likes

Agree with everyone. The commentator, youā€¦

Itā€™s obvious Mancini feels comfortable in a stros jersey. Heā€™s hitting against a league heā€™s familiar with. And he wants to show out here. Put the guy in the outfield.

Didnt see the game today, what happened with JV?

They said ā€œRight calf discomfortā€.

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1564040761594855429?t=JebStEAvur_naqDCtAC42w&s=19

1 Like

I think he tweaked it on that goofy play to end the inning - lots of unusual stopping/starting. He wasnā€™t limping much, so Iā€™m hoping itā€™s just a strain.

1 Like

Not try hard to retain Verlander? That would be out of character for Crane and create a real leadership void.