Houston Astros 2023 Season on a daily roll

Exactly. These are solutions in search of problems.

1 Like

Game length is an issue and it’s because of each at bat taking too much time

“An issue” for whom? Gameplay has been more affected by the replay process.

The fact that a baseball game can now be decided by a “delay penalty” is enough reason to change it. If we’re going that direction, then we might as well have a game clock that ends every game in 2.5 hours, regardless of the score. That’s not baseball.

4 Likes

Big picture: For fans who love baseball but can’t justify spending 3+ hours watching it, these could be welcome changes. That same Padres–Mariners game on Friday took just 2:29 to complete—about 40 minutes shorter than last year’s regular-season average, per ESPN.

1 Like

When i see a shot clock behind home plate, a pitcher off balance in his delivery because hes rushed, and a batter take the ugliest swing of his life because he was barely in his stance, i feel like I’m watching a game other than baseball.

Plus it just looks unhealthy. Go bowl 10 frames with a 15 second shot clock, then bowl normal. You’ll quickly feel how quick your arm wears out.

3 Likes

I really hope that MLB sees the folly of their ways during spring training and either extend the clock or eliminate it prior to the start of the regular season. These are the best players in the world. I want to see them at their best, not rushed and sloppy. I also don’t want to see an at-bat, inning, or game decided by this crap rule. There is so much more to baseball than just the game speed.

3 Likes

I’m sure you felt similarly when the NCAA instituted a basketball shot clock too

2 Likes

I sure didn’t, because there were already clock parameters in place, and it didn’t affect the game in nearly the same way. This adds a time element to a game that didn’t have it.

Having a game last 40 minutes less than a previous game isn’t necessarily an improvement. Like I said, if you want a timed game, make them end after 2 hrs and 30 minutes like kids’ baseball tournament games. No thanks.

2 Likes

If MLB was determined to get rid of the downtime between pitches, the better approach would be something more like challenges. Allow a team a certain amount of “time warnings” in a game before assessing any kind of penalty against the batter or pitcher.

Also, what other sport can end on a delay of game penalty? That’s the most absurd result of all.

3 Likes

I didn’t. I was too young to care.

1 Like

You missed the glory of Dean Smith’s “Four Corners”? You poor child.

I use a version of “four corners “ in high school
.it will be allowed by NFHS next year but Texas won’t use it.

Please invite our resident Dentist to come to your game so he can see the joy sucking four corners in action

Don’t hold your breath. They’ve been working toward this for a few years, so I doubt it will go away.

In five years they’ll be wondering why their changes didn’t result in all of the expected newfound riches. They’ll change the game without helping the bottom line.

If games are really shortened by 45 minutes, they’ll lose out on a lot of ballpark food/drink/merchandise sales, even if they manage to draw in a few more fans to buy the overpriced tickets with the promise of less game time for the price admission. Woo hoo! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This article is from 2012. Then the game was under 3 hours

So, the Bleacher Report columnist from a decade ago had some ideas. :laughing:

Anyway, you’ll never convince me that MLB is really concerned about fans being “working families” when the average cost to take a family of 4 to an Astros game is around $300. This drives attendance far more than a perception that the game “takes too long.”

2 Likes

Another HR by Justin Dirden.

Pollard has a good eye for talent.

1 Like

Thank you.

Very nice compact swing without sacrificing power.

1 Like

The game is now about 20 minutes longer than when the article was written. Still 9 innings long

1 Like

Jacob Melton just hit a 2-run shot
.another great OF prospect.