Houston Cougars All Time Football Team

Hello Coogs,

I’ve been playing Retro Bowl on my phone recently and bought the premium version to make CFB Teams.

I made and coach our very own Houston Cougars, and can customize the names. The only problem is… for us younger cougars (say anyone under 35) we don’t know the history and accomplishments of the all time cougar team.

Could anyone do a 52 man roster if the all time great Coogs?

Seriously?

1 Like

That’s like asking which one of your kids is your favorite.

4 Likes

WR Elmo Wright
WR Jason Phillips
TE Riley Odoms
OT Melvin Jones
OG Rich Stotter
OC Ben Fricke
OG Bill Bridges
OT Maceo Fifer
QB Andre Ware
RB Paul Gipson
RB Robert Newhouse

DL Mack Mitchell
DL Wilson Whitley
DL Ed Oliver
DL Leonard Mitchell
LB David Hodge
LB Lamar Lathon
LB Elandon Roberts
CB William Jackson
CB Marcus Jones
S Alton Montgomery
S Hanik Milligan

13 Likes

Your quarterback should be Kyle Allen, your receiver should be Deonte Greenberry, your HC needs to be Tony Levine and assistant coach Major Applewhite

3 Likes

UH has almost too many to count.

Here is a trivia example: All 4 members of our 1966 backfield played in The NFL. Burris, Post, Gipson, and McVea.

7 Likes

Only one to win an AAC championship, and that is Greg Ward Jr

1 Like

9 Consensus All Americans to start.
Fills in 3 DL /2 OL/ 2 WR spots + Ware and Jones as KR/PR or DB

Take your pick from the Career leaders and the high NFL draft picks.

3 Likes

Spooooooonnnn

Jim Strong (running back) James Harold Strong Jr. ( December 12, 1946 - June 4th 2019 ) is a former American football running back who played three seasons in the National Football League with the San Francisco 49ers and New Orleans Saints. He was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the seventh round of the 1970 NFL Draft. He played college football at the University of Houston and attended Sam Houston High School in San Antonio, Texas.[1] He was also a member of the Florida Blazers and San Antonio Wings of the World Football League. MVP 1969 Bluebonnet Bowl.

1 Like

Yeah, Jim Strong would be on the second or third team with Weatherspoon, McVea, and Blackwell. But I couldn’t put any RB over Gipson or Newhouse.

2 Likes

Something tells me Sam had given this some thought long before this post. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Antowain Smith (6’2” and 230lbs). Arguably the best RB at UH. I was also a Joffrey Reynolds’s fan.

1 Like

Lamar Smith gets very under appreciated in UH history. Definitely worthy being in our second group of backs. He was post RS dark ages and injured his SR season. Was terrific before the injury and had a good NFL career with the Saints.

4 Likes

If we were to use NFL careers as the measure of excellence, then Kimball Anders (a couple of pro bowls), and Antowain Smith (1,000 yard seasons and a couple of Super Bowl rings) would both have to be in the conversation at running back.

3 Likes

Smith was good but only 19th nationally in rushing (1239 yds) and not in the top 20 in ypc. He only played the one season, IIRC, so I’m not sure I wouldn’t put him on the 1st or 2nd team.

Some others that come to mind Danny Davis, Greg Ward, Chuck Brown, Robert the Gator Newhouse, Guy Brown, Eugene Lockhart, Case Keenum and Roman Anderson.

3 Likes

The word that comes to mind when thinking about Danny Davis is winner.

1 Like

Danny Davis might be my 2nd team QB. Newhouse is there.

Case at QB

2 Likes

I get that Ward won a NY6, Ware won the Heisman, I know Davis won (two?) Cotton Bowls, but I agree. Keenum was so clutch.

Keenum had a lot of adversity that he had to deal with that others didn’t.