Houston is Chomping at the Bit to Play UT

Once again, you ‘re dealing with a once-in-a-lifetime game at your home stadium. We will not be playing UT again in Houston for the next 30 years. So playing the game off site is missing out on a great investment opportunity. Playing at NRG would be so incredibly penny wise and pound foolish. You effectively nullify your home field advantage and give up possibly the greatest PR even in campus history. We don’t give a #%# how many horn fans want to see the game. We only care about our program.

9 Likes

I seem to recall it was designed and built to add 10K in an offseason. The footers already exist. The exterior buildings were built around them. Just need to add more steel risers and prefab concrete on top.
There may be some reconfiguring etc., but it looks like all that was part of the plan to move quick with minimal disruption.

1 Like

Don’t sell out our students/potential STH for 3-4 millions up front. We can get all that back and more once we have 25k+ STH.

1 Like

I want our lost Coogs/casual fans to buy ST or 3-4 games plan long term. That what we need to sell them on. By playing TU at NRG, they’re just buying single game ticket just for the game and done with. If we lose the game, those lost Coogs will go back into their closets like they have for 30+ years. We need to get them out to campus and see what our university is today. Most still think UH a dumpster. They have no idea what UH has transformed into since 2010.

8 Likes

We have no clue as to who will play where in 2023, but I am sure the B12 remaining teams have no love for UT and OU right now, nor would they feel obligated to bend to their wishes. If the B12 made them so mad the two left after next year, the B12 would be $85MM richer. On the other hand, I would also imagine the B12 would schedule OUT to the advantage of the remaining members over the new comers. Just being pragmatic.

I think the B12 is in the “let’s soak them for every cent” phase of this. I think they’ll do what is most expedient and effective at getting the most money out of them.

2 Likes

Will games be at TDECU or Reliant?

I know someone who is either a true fan of or works at every school in the current Big XII, except Kansas and West Virginia. Just about all of them hate to see Oklahoma go, but all but 1 are glad the sippers are going.

1 Like

It would be awesome if the Big 12 has OU and UT play away games at all 4 new schools in 2023. Not sure I buy that though. My dream is UT at UH at NRG in kickoff game (nationally televised on Fox) to open our 2023 season and then host OU at TDECU some point later in the season.

Not sure you caught it, but that was my point. I was just wondering what “reason” could compel us to pass up the opportunity to achieve all the things you just mentioned. Not sure any would be justified. If I was unclear, my apologies.

1 Like

That would be too cool. I’m skeptical about that, but I love how you think.

We just need two more rocky mountain teams, an Atlantic and Mountain division! I’m biased though. Coast to coast football baby!

When it was announced we were joining in ‘23 on r/CFB (Reddit) the most upvoted (liked) comment was an Iowa state fan who said “let’s make Texas play in Houston all 9 games in ‘23”

8 Likes

Why in the hell would anyone want to play at NRG and give up any sort of advantage? That’s like getting a baseball regional and sending it to Minute Maid

NRG would price gouge so much it would kill the fan base

2 Likes

NRG is terrible, the sound system sucks, piss on Texas play us at TDECU or go pound sand lol

5 Likes

More validation.

3 Likes

UT and A$m need to play us OOC , it’s a huge draw.

1 Like

In the event we get a home game with Texas do we troll them with a gift certificate for bleachers?

I know Reddit suggested a bleacher trophy, which I also approve of.

One thing to keep in mind is that some of the money from UT/OU breaking the GOR goes to Fox Sports, most likely (theoretically ESPN as well, but surely they keep their heads down on that one). So something like “Waiting the GOR” or combining it in with the exit fee would actually cost the conference real money (not just opportunity money).

2024 makes the most sense given that it’s the first year of the ESPN-SEC contract. But UT/OU gotta pay up.