Houston sports talk shows

Same w me. I stopped listening over 10 yrs ago. It’s just bad bad…No thank you!
I rather pull one of my teeth out on my own than listen . :nauseated_face::flushed:

I’d pay money to see that. :face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

I saw him at UH basketball game last year. The only reason why I knew it was him is cause he had his name embroidered on his hat :joy: I just shook my head. Seems like a good dude though.

But I listen to 790 on my commute to work and 975 on the way home. 975 is very interactive with listeners and on Twitter.

1 Like

He is a good dude. I went to high school with him.

1 Like

Can’t believe AM radio is still even a thing.
The frequencies are terrible quality and the FM spectrum has so many more channels.
Personally, I haven’t listened to terrestrial radio in 15 years.
XM and streaming off phone are killing radio.
Car manufacturers are following Tesla’s lead and not even including AM radios. Like cassette and CDs in cars.

1 Like

I 110% endorse this message. Sports 365 on YouTube - 3-6pm. Best sportscast right now, radio or internet.

They engage with the chat and will bring your questions to the guests.

My shining 15mins of fame was when they had Barry Switzer on commenting on the new schools being added to the B12. I asked Smokey (one of the hosts) to ask Mr Switzer about what he had said about UH in 2016 when it looked like UH was going to the B12. Mr Switzer was taken aback a little by the question and then said he absolutely stood by those words and was doing/saying everything he could to keep OU competitive and knows the potential of UH with the proper resources. Called him on his sh*t LOL

4 Likes

They don’t have listeners.

3 Likes

I remember a caller that went by “Howard in Memorial”. He called in frequently and always had something negative to say about the local sports teams. I doubt he calls in any more.

3 Likes

Did he have a New York or North East accent?

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of the Gilbert calls on John and Lance. You can’t help but think they are mocking him for comedy.

FM doesn’t have near the range of AM.

2 Likes

I do not get the appeal. Who cares what he has to say?

They’re all soft and they’re over-the-top homers, which comprises their opinions. Matt Thomas always asked Dusty Baker softball questions on the air when he should have pressed him on some topics. He also rips the Texans and Cal McNair, but never the Rockets and Astros — who are on his station. Either have honest and unbiased opinions or do something else.

1 Like

Listening to “The Show” and Sterner talk so much with sexual innuendoes and other inane crap, you would think they were 13 year old boys.

1 Like

I’ve been listening to Houston sports radio since Martini and Edmunds. It is cyclical but it is kind of in a lull right now. I did like 1560 The Game until that fell apart.

I figured Lopez and Charlie were on some Nebraksa AM channel doing bowling talk from 2 AM to 7AM, had no idea they were still a thing. Haven’t listened to local sports radio since XM came around. I remember that Rich Lard guy, he was a jerkoff.

2 Likes

I have heard from many former talk show hosts that they hate taking calls. Most of the people who call in are completely ignorant of the topic, bigots, loudmouths and/or have nothing intelligent to add. One of the reasons you see a lot of former radio show hosts moving to pod casts is because they don’t have to take callers. They also get to set their schedules and have more freedom to discuss topics interesting to them.

2 Likes

And not to mention shortwave.

I listen to the nfl channel on XM quite a bit. If ever there was a channel that shouldn’t take calls, that is the one. I usually have to change the channel because I’m embarrassed for the caller.

1 Like

I think he passed away