Houston to the PAC For Those Who Follow Re-alignment

The more likely scenario is Colorado and Nebraska realize the error of their ways and seek a return to The Big 12.

Money talks. They are floundering in order to get more $money.

For how long?

I don’t live in Houston anymore but when I did live there I was astounded how many people were from north of the Mason-Dixon line. I have preached the BIG 10 on this blog ever since the BIG took Rutgers.

1 Like

I could be wrong and it was a long time ago but I heard the SEC came calling and invited UH to join but we said ‘no’ because we were independent and played in the Astrodome. Is there and credence to this?

In the case of Nebraska, forever probably. In the case of Colorado, I think it depends on what happens in the Pac-12 (specifically, if they lose teams).

Thanks for the link. Synopsis of Wilner’s comments:

1. Pac looking to expand in 18-24 months with UofH and TCU top of the list
  2. report of UH/TCU close to be offered last month was not true
  3. Texas Tech wouldn’t bring much to Pac from either market or recruiting stance
1 Like

Nebraska has to do something if they want to keep Blue Blood status. The state doesnt have alot of eyeballs so they need to do something remain relevant nationally.

Some old-timers said that was the case. I don’t know before it was before my time here. Have no reason to doubt them. Some of younger alumni don’t know this Houston actually was picked to win a NC by all Playboy magazine lol. But at the time Playboy mag was highly respected. But the program was a powerhouse as much as any program in the nation late 60’s and 70’s one of reasons why we got invited to the SWC. In fact back on old board posted an article showing the press mention of a possible SEC invite. It’s gone with the old scout board. Houston has a fabled sport history game of century UCLA vs UH in the 8,the wonder of world etc. Made some folks jealous and determined to keep us down.

1 Like

They came twice. Last we turned the SEC down and went to Conf USA as we were going to be a basketball school.

Frankly I’m tired of realignment talk. I thought I would never say that. Now that we have a destination I want it to quiet down. The only exception is I want to discuss at length every loss by UT in detail.

And, yes, my disdain for that institution is borderline psychotic.

7 Likes

If I’m not thinking about realignment I’m thinking about our season and I would rather think about realignment.

1 Like

I enjoy realignment. Every single speculation, discussion and viewpoint. Really glad UT-Austin and Oklahoma set this thing off.

The BIG is not expanding. The pac12 is most certainly not expanding if the BIG isn’t. The big12 is also done.

Notice that this talk of Memphis and Boise state joining the big12 is solely from Sic365 guys. They want subscribers on YouTube and nothing appeals to G5 viewers than saying that their school is about to join the big leagues.

2 Likes

I didn’t have to take a religious class when I was there. I was there in 2012. I remember because being an older student I figured it was required but it’s not. They were also ranked in Too 10 best party school by Playboy. Good times even for an older student.

The specific teams (Boise/Memphis, sometimes USF and SDSU mentioned) are more speculative, but the idea that they may go beyond four before their next TV contract came straight from the Texas Tech AD.

1 Like

I hope they don’t expand any more. Why would anyone want to split a pie another two ways when they haven’t had the first piece yet?

Then again, I commiserate with no institution but my own.

3 Likes

Exactly, going beyond four without being raided by the pac12 makes no sense. The big12 would cement its place as glorified G5 conference.

1 Like

I was originally hoping they’d go beyond 12 but the PR has been so good with the 12 we have I want to stay put. For now, at least.

Sorry, Memphis.

Maybe the league went through the same thought process. They kept the door open for more but now that the coverage has been good will just take a pass on it.

2 Likes

365 Sic’em was saying Boise/Memphis and then SMU/USF furthering quoting Sic’em they suspect PAC will get a minimum of 40 mil per team in new deal. So B12 will add teams to stay up with PAC by offering more inventory. Makes sense. Either way UH is in a good position.

I just cannot imagine SMU. They’re not necessarily even the next team in Texas I would take. And I cannot imagine TCU and Baylor thinking “We need another private Texas school in here, and another DFW school, all in one.”

3 Likes

I don’t get their reasoning. Schools in the AAC currently receive 7 million, I don’t see how bringing them in drives the big12 to 40 million to keep up with the pac12.

More inventory 16 team conference