Houston to the PAC For Those Who Follow Re-alignment

Now that’s an outlandish theory I can actually get behind.

However, May I pivot and say that notre dame and UH to the big 10, instead?

hell, while we’re at it…UH and Notre Dame to the SEC…unless the NFC East calls first…

I just hope Houston makes the right decision. For those of you who remember our entry in the SWC, we were invited when the word got out that we would be given an SEC invite. I think the same thing happened here. The Big 12 invited us because they thought that the PAC may be inviting Houston and would rather compete with just on major conference for the Houston market. We will see how this unfolds.

I’ve turned it around in my head and I just cannot make sense of expanding into the eastern time zone by two teams. It doesn’t add enough games and makes scheduling enough of a nightmare as to destabilize the conference WAC-16 style (it wasn’t that they had 16 teams as much as it as that they didn’t line up well divisionally at all).

I figured out some things you can do with 16 teams, but not 14.

1 Like

I saw something like that last night and was going to post it, but was also going to say at TCU, that could mean you take a class to learn the words to the song “Jesus Loves Me” and get a C- if you can’t.

If you receive an invite to the pac12, you accept and go. Texas Tech and every single left over big12 school would.

6 Likes

Notre dame is never joining a conf. Notre Dame has nbc and keeps all revenue vs sharing and the biggest reason is they like a national schedule vs having to play 8 conf games which messes up their national appeal of playing a national schedule. I’m 100% sure they never join unless the NCAA forced them to etc. If you ever talk to a Notre dame alum or fan or their athletic dept. , they will say the same. Right now, they agreed to play some Acc teams but they aren’t required to play an 8 game slate which frees them up to play national.

Not only is Notre Dame not going to a conference they damn sure won’t move to the west coast.

Chicago is the media epicenter for Notre Dame. They’re not changing that to Los Angeles.

3 Likes

I hope we pick right also. Although I do believe the big12 will now remain a p5 and or one of the major conferences bc getting Byu was key. Byu could have made the aac a major conf. Or closer.

1 Like

Nd made a deal if the playoffs expand that they would agree to never getting a bye week like maybe bama which also signals how much they like being Independant. Plus if they agreed to join the pac, it hurts our chances but again, Nd isn’t moving from their stance so we’re good.

In conference realignment crap rolls downhill. SEC, B1G then everybody else in order PAC ACC, B12. Now, if B1G poaches USC (don’t think this will happen, it flies in the face for the reason for creating the alliance to preserve the A5 current struture of CFB in 10 or 15 yrs down the road who knows with the new media rights deals being renegotiated) because there not happy about the new media package then everything changes, if SEC poaches Clemson and FSU then it’s SEC B1G and the little sister’s. Then they will trim the fat to get rid of the Dukes, Vandy’s, Boston U etc. ESPN does not want to pay for these schools. FB provides 85% of all athletic budgets. Meaning Olympic non Olympic sports programs and all.

They have been complaining about it since Leach was at WSU. They are finally getting a surprising amount of 5pm and 6pm CST kickoffs.

I agree with most of this, but the reasons are even more simple than this. Main reason why the Pac 12 will not invite BYU - Utah.

1 Like

Pac 12 will likely make more money than Big 12 when both renegotiate their contracts. The Pac 12 is a more stable conference as they currently own the west coast for college athletics. If invited, it should be a no-brainer for UH to accept, all else being equal.

Now if Pac 12 does poorly in renegotiating their contract value and Big 12 can lure Pac 12 schools, then that changes the equation.

3 Likes

I really don’t think any school will leave the Pac. I want to stay in the Big12 but I really don’t trust them. They will leave us behind in a New York minute, it they had an opportunity.

4 Likes

If the Big 12 has a GOR then we sign it.

If they don’t, then we have to assume there is a reason they didn’t and the Pac-12 is probably a safer harbor.

2 Likes

Jon Wilner of the Pac 12 Hotline says that Houston and TCU are probably top of the list and that TT brings nothing

5 Likes

Keep a eye out on Nebraska. Big12 will probably be working on them over the next few years if they are smart.

1 Like

Big 12 feels like the Big East everyone wants to leave.
Kansas to the Big 10
Iowa St to the Big 10
West Virginia to the ACC
Texas Tech to the PAC 12
Okie State to the PAC 12
TCU to the PAC 12
Kansas St to the PAC 12
Baylor to the ACC

If the Pac 12 offers UH you take it and don’t look back.

5 Likes

If the PAC said “Boo” to BYU they would go. And IMHO Houston would too- JUSTLIKE EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE Big 12.

1 Like