Houston to the SEC?

Former season ticket holder.

There have been discussions by old-timers who were in on the know back in the day. UH and Aggies we’re collaborating together. Until a certain school got wind of it and Aggies backed out. I suspect they don’t visit the board anymore or are dead
 Yes they did post some docs and media pieces showing such, as I recall. Don’t matter now it’s all history. People need to understand back then is not the present day SEC.

1 Like

Scanners reference. Well played sir.

:+1:t5:

1 Like

I’m an old timer and I am still waiting for evidence. It was always the SWC or bust. Once again there is no evidence the SEC ever come to us.
If they did it was the best kept secret ever.
Not gonna post anymore on this subject. Believe what you want if it makes you feel better.

1 Like

I’m just know what I know and I do remember certain post being made and evidence to support it. Like I said it doesn’t matter.

1 Like

There was a coogfans poster previously on the board of regents or athletic dept board at the time or something that said he was present for a vote and approval or something to that effect, but a$m backed out.

2 Likes

That is why I’ve been preaching AAU for 20 years or so

It was a long time ago, but when UH first started playing in the Astrodome, I think UH got an Invite from the SEC and we turned them down to remain independent.

Classic film! Gotta love practical effects compared to all the over used CGI Cartoonishness. You could taste that guys gray matter when Ironside scanned him!

1 Like

I have yet to see any proof that there was ever an SEC invite. Until I do, I’ll consider the “SEC invite” story to be a fan story invented decades later.

There would never be an official invite if the invitee hasn’t already agreed to join. So in the scenario our board members are imagining, SEC wants to add us but we choose SWC instead, then the only invite is from SWC.
I don’t know the truth, but I do know the that lack of an official invite is not proof that we weren’t offered privately and turned them down.

1 Like

Believing that we ever turned down an invite to the SEC is a fan fantasy.

1 Like

Someone posted this year that they were on the athletic advisory council, sec wasted wanted a&m and uh as a pair, uh voted yes, the next day a&m backed out and they formed the big12

No proof.

aTm and UT both jointly went to the Big 12, and were going to go alone until they were forced to take Baylor and Tech with them by Bob Bullock.

SEC was never a part of that.

There are literally BOOKS on that piece of history.

1 Like

How do you know if a farmer is an Aggie?

When he blows the horn on his truck, the animals back up to the fence. :laughing:

Here’s the post from a few years ago from an eyewitness (quick google). I suppose you could say this is not proof (prob wouldn’t see proof until a team actually joined).

“Okay. I will say this again because it was not publicized at all, and shockingly few UH alums know of it

I served on the Athletics Advisory Board from 87-94. Stan Binion and I were the two Board of Regent Nominees representing the BOR. We had an overview function of approving budgets, scholastics, hiring and firing coaches, and a macro guidance of the Athletic Department.

Rudy Davalos (AD and head of the Advisory Board) called me on a Wednesday Night (in 91 I think), calling an Emergency Meeting on Friday. We all showed up, and Rudy informed us that UH had been extended an offer to join the SEC along with A&M. We voted “Yes” 12-0. A &M and UH were to hold a joint news conference at 10am Monday to announce the move.

Well
A&M fish tailed. IMO, this weekend the Big 12 was formed in a smoke filled back room. No question. A&M cut the deal with Texas, preventing us from going to the SEC. IMO, we were probably on the inside track to join the Big12, but Governor Richards and Lt. Governor Bullock (Baylor/TT), exercised enough power to screw us out of the deal. We limped along in the SWC for the next year, while they “officially” formed the Big 12, but the die had been cast.

I was there. This happened. “

I guess technically correct that WE didn’t turn it down.

8 Likes

The history books record UT and aTm leaving for the Big 8, with the SEC not being involved at all, and being forced to take Tech and Baylor with them.

The SEC wasn’t even a part of that, much less UH.

History records that aTm and UT wanted to leave everybody else, UH included, behind. Neither wanted UH, which was at all-time low point in football and basketball, as a conference mate.

Someone needs to show some documentation and paperwork if they think the SEC ever invited us.

1 Like

Do you believe that the poster’s account of an SEC invite is true?

I’m sure he experienced what he said he did, but I think that Davalos was probably mistaken.

Someone show me the documentation
because as I said, there have literally been BOOKS written with documentation that tell a completely DIFFERENT story
the very one that I just summarized.

Davalos merely saying that such an invite had been extended could be incorrect.

Hard to imagine that in the mid-90s, when we were at all all-time low point in football and men’s basketball (Helton and Brooks eras), that the SEC would have even been sniffing.

It might be a little different if we were at a high point then, but we weren’t. Our on the field play and attendance were rock bottom at the time, and wouldn’t have attracted ANY suitors. That’s why that story sounds so completely UNbelievable
if even plausible.

We were the type of program that UT and aTm were trying to leave behind and go to the Big 8 for.

As such, I am inclined to believe that Davalos was off his rocker if he said such a thing.

1 Like

So the theory is AD Davalos was mistaken enough to call an emergency meeting to vote? OK

Didnt we finish top 10 in 1990? If this vote was in 1991

1 Like