How the transfer portal is changing recruiting

“Put on your old green bonnet with the yellow ribbon on it and we’ll drink 6 Friars to their grave”.

Siena College 1971 - 1972

US Army 1972 - 1975

UH 1976 - 1979

2 Likes

North Carolina School of the Arts 1996-1997

Two-year religious mission 1997-1999

Houston Community College 1999-2000

University of Houston 2000-2002 (BA)

[University of Nebraska 2008-2010 (BS), University of the Incarnate Word 2014-2016 (MS), Johnson University 2016-2018 (PhD-ABD)]

Johnson U in Knoxville, TN or Kissimmee, FL?

So who has gone to more colleges, you or Law?

Knoxville. I don’t know, Law might have me beat.

I was lucky in that a good portion of my school was paid throughout my career. I had the college loan repayment program to pay off some of my loans from UH, then I had Tuition Assistance from the military for my second Bachelor’s and my Master’s, and then I used my G.I. Bill for my PhD coursework.

2 Likes

I think the portal will help G5 schools much more than P5. P5 schools don’t want to take the G5 stars. They think they are stars against lower competition.
Kids want to see the field rather than wait 3 years sitting 4th on the LSU depth chart. Bench warmers don’t get drafted. This will help G5 way more than hurt them.

2 Likes

Not sure I agree.

Ever heard of a guy named D’Eriq King?

If D’Eriq would have had to play behind our offensive line last year he wouldn’t have made it through the season. . Even at Miami, he got injured in their last game …

3 Likes

Hobart and William Smith (BA)

UH (MSW)

Boston U (one year teaching/MED)

I think that was more about the change of coach. Had Briles stayed (or Herman or Applewhite) I don’t think King would have left.

Probably one of several of the reasons he transferred.

1 Like

I wonder if you add up the star count of our team now with transfers and all recruits, how it would rank. It’s prob what dana was talking about in that get them however we can and many transfers are good.

Another interesting article via 247sports as they interviewed a few FBS players who found it tough going in the portal.

good point, I am also interested. The problem is that it is hard to sustain a strong program with lots of player turnover. I know that before, coaches looked to CC to improve, but is it not sustainable. The only coach that was successful with this was coach Snyder at K-State.

1 Like