I'm excited and looking forward to the season, BUT?

Like most things in life, context is required and more knowledge. Players going into the portal is not necessarily a red flag. Need more info!

Each case is a separate and individual case. You must look at each one separately and the vast majority here do not have the information to assess accurately.

2 Likes

My point is, most coaches, even great coaches, have guys go into the portal.

2 Likes

MrBeast, give CDH a chance. This season is pivotal for us. Let’s discuss then on how we did. Is that fair?

2 Likes

My understanding is that when folks say that Applewhite was fired after going 8-4, the reality is that the shelves were bare and it would begin showing the next season anyway. I am under the understanding that CDH is doing a total rebuild from the ground up and as such it takes time.
If this year we go 8-4, a decent bowl win, then the recruiting up ticks, the transfers are better, etc.
Part of our problem is replacing coaches every few years. He is here to stay. Once we begin winning, we will begin winning more and more. This year is pivotal.

3 Likes

Again, the reality of the situation is we have no idea how Applewhite would have done because it didn’t happen. A lot of fortune tellers on this board.

3 Likes

Most humans have the ability to perceive existing data and extrapolate with that data.

Maybe you should wish for evolution in your genetic line for Christmas.

2 Likes

And what we do KNOW is how Applewhite actually did, which was much better than Holgi. And if we didn’t have an almost unparalleled rash of injuries, who knows how his last season turns out.

2 Likes

:joy: :joy:

I’ve never seen a more lethargic, disengaged team than our bowl loss to Army . That in itself is telling to me the way Applewhite had us headed . I was a big Applewhite enthusiast and he may still evolve into a great head coach but I think we would have regressed quickly with him at the helm .

5 Likes

To me, some folks on this thread seem to exhibit the intellectual capacity of a mullet.

Until CDH threatens Coach Applesauce’s record for worst bowl loss in college FB history, I think the ridiculous comparisons should just stop. But then again, maybe that’s just me.

6 Likes

Y’all need to get over that bowl loss. It’s like you’ve forgotten that half the team was injured. Keep making excuses for Holgi and whiny about a game we never should have played in, I guess.

3 Likes

Exactly. It’s almost like regular season stats don’t matter on this board. Winning season? Meh, I just want to make sure we look good in a meaningless bowl!

I think it’s more that Coach Applesauce had lost the team by the time of the Army Bowl game.

When you ask your team to attempt to punt from your opponents ~35 yard line, and your team NEVER once stops a single opponent’s drive all day long, you know you need to hang it up. Why do you think he can’t (and most likely won’t ever) find a decent coaching job again in college FB?

2 Likes

I really like not returning punts and kickoffs. And I really like non-stop slip screens to the sidelines for 1 yard gains, or better yet when they turn into pick 6’s.

1 Like

This is incredible. In the same post you ask posters to stop making excuses for Holgerson, you make excuses for Applewhite. Well done friend, well done.

4 Likes

I’m just sick and tired of all the complaints about Applewhite on this board. It’s effing ridiculous. The man hasn’t coached here in two seasons, yet the posters on here make excuse after excuse for Holgi. Let’s just say my time on this site has made me understand why other schools think of us as Cool High. Is like trying to reason with a brick wall.

Two straight losing seasons. Scoreboard.

3 Likes

You have to give Dana some slack the red shirt year was followed by the Covid year. Has he shown that he is a great coach here? No not yet and I suspect this year will tell us everything we need to know.

Applewhite? Soft practices, quitting in games, embarrassing losses. He had to go.

3 Likes

The reason for all this silly debate is the knuckleheads that keep trying to make an uninformed &/or ignorant comparison of (1) our predecessor coach (Apple…) who inherited great talent from a Top 10 New Year’s Day Peach Bowl championship team, vs (2) our current coach (Holg…) who inherited far less talent from a mediocre (at best) worst Bowl loss in modern era college FB history team - based solely on winning % in a requisite red-shirt/Covid era without an adequate sample size.

5 Likes

I think Applewhite was a classic case of a person rising to the level of his incompetence. I still think he was a pretty good OC for us but for whatever reason, the HC job was/is just beyond him.

3 Likes

And I’m sick of all of the complaining about Holgerson. If you want to cherry pick just the W/L record, that’s fine. The rest of us will look at all of the variables and circumstances like Wood Mark did.

5 Likes