I'm excited and looking forward to the season, BUT?

From 1963 through 1965 Bill Yeoman was the worst Coach in the 20 year history of Cougar Football.

Not saying Dana is Yeoman but sometimes things can dramatically improve.

2 Likes

Finally, sarcasm that even many of the posters on here can discern . . . . .

Yeah, no. I literally researched recruiting rankings, presented analysis, etc. People couldn’t compute even with the numbers staring them in the face. It’s much, much more than simply the win-loss record. Eventually the truth is going to be so obvious that you are all going to figure out what I’ve been saying for months is the truth.

3 Likes

If you’re not happy with the rankings the recruiting services give our players take it up with them not the coach. He doesn’t assign them numbers. He’s doing the leg work, matter of fact every coach in the country does more leg work than the recruiting services. We literally just watched a 2 star Payton Turner get drafted in the first round. Ad nauseam, if kids don’t go to camps they don’t do the homework on them. Trust the coach when it comes to recruiting. The rest will let you down.

3 Likes

Payton Turner was recruited by Applewhite’s staff. I have been told that Applewhite didn’t know what he was doing, so I can’t trust the coach except for when Coogfans tells me to trust the coach. Most everyone on this site has assured me we were talentless when Holgorsen got here; the proverbial cupboard was absolutely bare. I don’t know how he got drafted. It is a paradox.

6 Likes

Well golly shucks, that Coach Applewhite sure was clueless, eh? Next you’re going tell me I’m imagining things about D’eriq King.

1 Like

He has threatened it from the other side…

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/320040228

You forgot:

Pinstripe Bowl - Loss
Liberty Bowl - Loss
Cactus Bowl - Won
Russel Athletic Bowl - Loss
Heart of Dallas Bowl - Loss
Camping World Bowl - Loss
New Mexico Bowl - Loss

1 Like

There is a bunch of different narratives going on. Tho Applewhite can be looked at as incompetent as a developer, he did recruit relatively well in comparison to the rest of our conference; that is recruiting services rankings aside, just the amount of players make it to the NFL.

There are also some that said the cupboard was bare, it was, only at certain positions. We literally didn’t have bodies at CB and have been suspect at LB. I do believe there is talent at those positions but the aforementioned narrative went from a localized issue to a widespread unspecified. Therein lies the problem.

My biggest issue is the people who’ve gone silent that cry, complain, and make threads about our assigned recruiting rankings; they have absolutely nothing to say about us having 2 star players drafted. As a matter of fact, outside of Ed, what 4 and 5 star players are we putting in the league?

I’m a bit of a younger alumn, but if my memory serves correct, we’ve always pushed out underdogs. Not sure why people are expecting something drastically different.

4 Likes

For those with an Athletic subscription, they just did a re-ranking of the 2017 recruiting classes. 5 AAC teams made the top 25 and honorable mention. Memphis, Tulsa, SMU, UCF, and Cincinnati. Coogs were nowhere to be found. Not foolproof by any means, but an interesting analysis.

5 points: All-American, award winner, top-50 NFL Draft pick
4: Multiyear starter, all-conference honors
3: One-year starter or key reserve
2: Career backup
0: Minor or no contribution, left the program

Blockquote

https://twitter.com/theathleticcfb/status/1389271536381616130?s=21

2 Likes

Applewhite was hired because of tremendous support from High School Coaches, thus awesome future recruiting.

That is what we were told at the time.

Why have we stuck with Tune this long? Could’ve brought in a grad transfer or something. Any thoughts? The QBs that Dana had at WVU, I was expecting an elite passing attack here.

I assume he thinks Tune can be good. Remember Tune is a guy baby Briles brought in.
I do think having his son on the depth chart may have hurt, or Dana may not have wanted the competition. Now with him gone maybe transfers will give us more consideration.

The transfer needs to be out there and willing to come here. We have Tune. If the O line improves, if the WR’s don’t drop half the balls and the RB’s do well, he will look better.

1 Like

I think Dana honestly has a lot of faith in Tune. Which is a good thing to me considering the QBs he has had in the past. I mean not bringing in a QB after after King left and Tune player awful, than again after the sub par year we had this year he doesn’t being in a transfer to compete. Tune must really be his guy

1 Like

First time caller to the show!

1 Like

Applewhite recruited a few positions well and terrible at others. Overall, that means he did a poor job no matter how you try to rationalize it.

So Dana

I thinks some people need things to whine about !

1 Like

Case in point.

1 Like