Injury updates and a cringeworthy Art Briles reference

Dana sure knows how to stir the pot with his responses. Oh well, no coach is going to respond well and like a comparison to another coach unless its all positive as in "you have really improved the O or the D since you arrived. How did you do such fantastic work? The question was from the flip side as if we once upon a time had a better coach than you and this is how he recruited and developed OL. Why don’t you do the same?

Imagine how BOB would respond if a caller called in and compared Gary Kubiak’s zone blocking OL successes to BOB’s OL from a negative context to what BOB was doing. All fire works baby!! :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

Perfect response by Holgorson.

6 Likes

I am highly critical of our coach’s public persona, which I believe reflects poorly on the university and is an indicator of his lack of discipline. Nonetheless, even I think this response is warranted. There’s no reason to draw comparisons to a previous coach at a coach’s show.

5 Likes

I have no problem with his response,.Holgerson can’t take a breath without someone knocking him for how he does it. College coaches live in a fishbowl, very few people are ever going to like what you do or say.

3 Likes

I gotta tell ya.

I’m with CDH on this one.

Briles hasn’t been coach here in ages, isn’t the coach, and is now irrelevant to college football.

Moreover, he never coached the Coogs to a 12 win season and Top 20 finish, as CDH did.

Perfect response to a really STUPID question.

12 Likes

Wait, Briles had above average OL while he was coaching at UH? From a C-USA perspective or an overall college football perspective?

I loved his creativity on offense but I don’t remember the OL being noteworthy.

4 Likes

I kind of think that both the question and response had much more to do with Briles at Baylor, given that Dana actually coached against him. Plus, Briles is like some mythical coach who get mentioned every time there’s an opening but has no job.

Honestly, Dana’s response could have been worse, but thankfully, he didn’t go there. :laughing:

Is that where the article stops? Because if you listen to the clip John went on to change the wording of his question to ask Dana how he thinks about recruiting OL and specifically about size, diamonds in the rough etc. and dana gave a great answer. John Apologized afterwards and everything was Fine. John asks great questions every week and Dana just didnt want to walk into a lose lose of comparing himself to Art. Yall making a mountain out of a mole hill here.

7 Likes

John should have asked that from the beginning.

1 Like

Sure, but Im just saying there are several on here getting a little aggressive at a fan who deserves the benefit of the doubt. He always kicks off the show with a great question and was trying to do so again. It was well intentioned, and John apologized after asking it

2 Likes

Where’s the fun in that? :wink:

Art got the ball out faster in passing so that helped the line.

1 Like

But Briles’ teams generally could run the ball much better than CDH’s supposed ball control run 1st offense.

2 Likes

Show me a 12 win season and Top 20 finish at UH…and then I’ll concede that Dana should follow Briles’ example.

1 Like

I think it was a good question but could’ve been asked differently. Dana wants to run the ball but the OL hasn’t performed to expectations.

1 Like

It was a terrible question referencing a coach that was 5 coaches ago and is now out of football because he is unemployable. Has nothing to do with today.

2 Likes

Then fan is making a point. We’ve never, ever signed great high school OLs. So starting with Coach Yeoman, we’ve always had and needed quicker OL and dual threat qbs the same reason

3 Likes

I don’t see anything cringeworthy about that in the least. Seems like a writer or editor has been itching to use that word and jammed it into a UH story.

2 Likes

Not responding to this direct quote, but multiple quotes that have gotten CoogFans in an uproar. I’m all good with what Dana says to the media and his edgy persona. There was a coach a few years ago that won a Peach Bowl here that was a complete @sshat to the media and alumni in general. Nobody cared, I’d say most loved what he said, because he won a lot of games. So I’m not picking through Dana’s quotes with a fine toothed comb, I’m just expecting him to backup his ways with wins. Just win baby!

The only thing even remotely cringeworthy, in my mind, was the implied notion that CDH should use Briles as a model.

3 Likes