Injury updates and a cringeworthy Art Briles reference

I agree with this. Let the man ask his damn question. Dana is such a jerk.

2 Likes

On this occasion, I respectfully disagree.

CDH’s response was completely appropriate.

2 Likes

Y’all are too sensitive. The question was about OL recruiting, not Briles. Maybe Dana wouldn’t be bitching about his OL all the time if he had an ounce of humility and actually listened to the question. This is just another example in a long line of Dana being an arrogant prick.

2 Likes

Then he should, as I said, have simply asked that.

No reason at all to bring Briles into it.

Cringeworthy that the guy did.

Briles is certainly no role model in that regard……and in other respects……is a model to be avoided.

2 Likes

I get it. The Briles reference wasn’t necessary. However, Dana hasn’t recruited the OL well and maybe he was just deflecting? Anyway, I’m no longer a fan of this guy.

Or conference championship… oops! Nevermind

I’ll put Briles up against Dana any day. The dude wins.

2 Likes

Never won 12…nor produced a Top 20 team here.

1 Like

Yeah, we are going to have to agree to disagree. Holgi didn’t stop him at the mention of Briles. He stopped him because he didn’t like the question. For my part, Holgi’s response is far more cringe.

He didn’t like the question BECAUSE Briles was a part of it…and rightfully so.

Mentioning Briles as a model to be compared to is cringeworthy in and of itself.

Briles wasn’t any more successful here (arguably less so; never produced a Top 20 team), really wasn’t any better at O-Line recruiting, and in any event, is now a name considered anathema throughout the college coaching world.

I’d cringe if someone started their question by comparing me to him, or implying that I should use him as a model.

Can’t say I blame CDH for responding the way he did, given that.

Last year was a nice accomplishment for the coaches and team….but even you have to admit it was an extremely weak schedule….the two losses were to the two that had a pulse….they didn’t beat “ Murder’s Row”.

I’m not going to debate you on past coaches successes or failures….and again kudos on last season…. But a little perspective is needed.

1 Like

Briles coached in CUSA, so I wouldn’t exactly call any of Briles’ schedules “Murderer’s Row” either.

At least CDH won his bowl game against a SEC team. Can’t say the same for Briles against South Carolina in his best season here.

In his best season (2006) Briles did not beat a team that was ranked at the time we played them.

CDH can claim that as well (SMU) last season.

Can someone explain the “small ankles” reference? I remember CBY saying in recruiting linemen he looked at the player’s mother and how she was built and it wasn’t small ankles it was thick legs including the ankles.

1 Like

The question could be asked

But Dana’s answer was also justified.

Briles isn’t the coach and if he wanted to know about Lineman he should’ve just said we’ve had better line play before.

Dana should feel irked

1 Like

In fact, I just looked back at Briles’ entire tenure here, and I couldn’t find a SINGLE victory against a ranked team.

So if people are belittling CDH’s success and trying to argue that Briles’ tenure here was better either on the basis of scheduling or who each beat, then I’d say EPIC FAIL!!!

Briles never won 12 games in a season, never beat a ranked team while he was here, never produced a team that finished in the Top 20, and never beat a SEC team in a bowl game, while CDH has done ALL OF THAT.

NO comparison. CDH has the edge in that regard, and should not have to look up to Briles in any way as an example to follow.

That probably explains why that question was so cringeworthy, and why CDH responded, understandably, the way that he did.

I didn’t like CDH’s remark after last game, but regarding THIS remark, I’m COMPLETELY on his side.

3 Likes

Did you listen to the radio show? He stopped him because of the Briles comparison specifically, that isn’t even up for debate for anybody who heard it. The guy rephrased his question and Dana had no problem answering about the O-line. If you want to pick apart his answer to the new question, feel free.

3 Likes

I only read the article, which didn’t mention anything after the initial question.

This crew could argue about how to wrap Christmas presents, then threaten to burn down each other’s homes over the answers. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Of course, no need to find out the full story, you are just ready to jump on anything negative about Dana

4 Likes

Great, without it you’d never have know about this conversation.
#GoCoogs

1 Like