Interesting 2022 Dilemma…Our Juniors

Our roster is on UHCougars.com. I count 28 Juniors.

This group is a huge part of our team(Tune, Parish,Mutin,Singleton, Jones, Hall, Boatman, on and on).

Any of them could try to go Pro after this season.

But if they play as Seniors in 2022 we lose them off our 2023 roster, our first Big 12 roster. We would replace them with lower classmen for 2023…players with less experience.

Dana’s dilemma: should he encourage many to leave the program so he can get experience for 2023? In essence ignore the 2022 AAC season to get experienced for 2023?

Take Tune. He would be great in 2022. Might be #1 QB in the AAC.

But in 2023 we then have Massoud and Kopp, neither one of whom would have played any significant minutes.

Did you know that Coach Yeoman redshirted Danny Davis in1975, giving him 3 years to play in The SWC? And that we went 2-8 in 1975? We that were fans back then thought that Yeoman threw away the 1975 season to get ready for 1976 SWC play.

Our 2022 roster will be loaded with Seniors. Perhaps some of them can redshirt?

Or do we play with 28 Seniors next year and worry about 2023 in 2023?

We tried this in 2019. Didn’t work out in 2020. Never again please.

Worry about 2023 in 2023.

14 Likes

If we’re lucky enough to sign Indiana Wijay, he might beat them out

1 Like

All American name for sure…. Cali kid.

1 Like

A lot of our guys listed as juniors would be seniors were it not for the free COVID year. That has allowed many kids around the country, who would have otherwise run out of eligibly, an opportunity to get their degrees. Every cloud has a silver lining.

He would be continuing the legacy of K and W UH quarterbacks.

Wijay and Kopp both have a lot of potential for sure.

1 Like

Wijay will be a Freshman in 2023.

Massoud enters his 4th training season and Kopp his 3rd.in 2023.

And of course Holman Edwards would see his 3rd. Season in 2023.

1 Like

He has no offers and no rating.

https://247sports.com/Player/Indiana-Wijay-46114141/

UH offered

Being recruited by UCLA, Oregon & Fresno

I’ll take 28 seniors any time. Our schedule next year will be tougher so we’ll need all the experience we can get. I’ll let recruiting and the transfer portal take care of 2023.

3 Likes

Someone needs to tell 247 to update their info; per the above they say, “There are no interests.”

Shhhh…less people know the better. Kid can spin it

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/indianawijay/status/1404332478693744644

His pinned tweet is his announcing his UH offer from June. Dana and Belk follow him.

3 Likes

I think if we were a “bigger” program, 247 would acknowledge the offer.

It’s highly problematic to evaluate any results in 2020 considering the circumstances. I think it’s more accurate to say that red-shirt decisions made in 2019 are paying dividends in 2021.

1 Like

247 is out to get us !
He is a 2023 recruit, if you look at 247 rankings the vast majority haven’t been rated or updated . With the COVID year most everything is off. This includes rankings, visits, player evaluations and film, commitments and Booms. Kids missed a year of official visits so they are trying to experience that before committing, coaches & staffs are behind evaluating prospects due to the lack of on field content to grade out …. Recruiting experts think the Booms will begin in mid November and ramp up to early signing day .

Thanks for that Danny Davis memory. One of my favorite all time Coogs. Still have the clippings that I cut out when I was a wee lad.

5 Likes

It is obviously true that Dana’s past redshirting efforts have paid off in 2021.

The 2022 strategy will be very interesting!

1 Like

Dana would gladly take all those guys back if they stay lol, the goal Is to win and win now, last 2 years were the rebuild. It’s time to start pulling our weight as Dana put it.

Now, that’s funny! What pro team is he leaving for? The Utica Yard Dogs?

1 Like