Is It Dawning On Us That Our 2022 Team

With this team I would pay to watch practice. The pickup games in June with recent graduates and our NBA guys are going to be epic.

If I show up with my high top chucks and droopy socks, do you think I could get “next”?

3 Likes

As I read all the other threads about next season’s players I remain convinced that we are going to be better than was our 2021 Team.

Our talent and versatility seem to be astonishing.

We are 10 deep and then some!

4 Likes

I think it could be a similar type of season to 2019-2020. Some struggles early as guys try to settle into their roles and learn the system. Start clicking by late December/early January. Compete to win conference and hopefully be rounded into form come postseason. Obviously will never know how the team from two years ago would’ve faired in the tournament but I really felt like they were poised to make a run (win AACT and advance through the 1st weekend of the NCAAT).

1 Like

How much Tramon improves is the ceiling imo. If he tightens up his game I think the team is headed for another big year.

This team will be deeper but idk if the best 5 will be better than 20-21 team. Grimes, Deeky and Sasser is a heck of combo when there rolling.

1 Like

Fabian White at 100% is going to be huge. And Kyler Edwards is going to be really good. Throw in Tramon, a nice 4 headed monster.

3 Likes

We could easily be better than last year and still lose the first weekend. We had an unusual amount of things go right last yr - like playing 4 double digit seeds to get to the Final Four.

5 Likes

This just goes to show you how unjust it was to keep Guy Lewis out for so long. He had 5 Final Fours – FIVE – and they held him out so long.

6 Likes

OMG. Beating the double-digit seed routine drum, endorsed by media hacks everywhere. And just so I understand, who was it that the DD seeds beat to advance to the next round(s)? Triple digit seeds?

9 Likes

Not endorsed by anyone but me. Just pointing out how difficult it can be getting to final four. Like a hail mary shot by Michigan and you are out!

1 Like

100%. Virginia proved a few years ago that nothing is guaranteed in the tournament. 2018 they become the first 1 seed to ever lose to a 16 seed. Next year they win the whole thing. They don’t call it March Madness for nothing!

3 Likes

I haven’t been keeping up with UNLV basketball, but what have they done recently?

ZERO.

1 Like

Fabian is one of my favorite players. Great shot and tough.

Cheney was coaching at a school in the Northeast.

That is all you need to know.

1 Like

To this point I think Fabian’s shot has been hit or miss but I think consistency is on the way. Probably even with greater range.

Didn’t he hit a HUGE 3 like in the Rutgers game or something like that?

2 Likes

Yes White made one of the biggest shots down the stretch.
Loved having him in the rotation but I think we are going to see the real White this coming season.

I feel really confident in what we are going to get from 4 of our guards and 3 of our bigs.

Real X factors will be contributions from Shead and Roberts. If not them we have 2 other talented guards and 3 bigs waiting their turns. If given the opportunities I would not count any of them out for making valuable contributions.

2 Likes

We had a nice path to get to the final four. To make the final four you have to have a really high combination of being lucky and good. No one we played in our run last year until Baylor throttled us was as good as the Kentucky team who barely knocked us out three years ago.

We also were a wide open missed dunk from going home in the second round.

We were very good last year and also got some luck.

We had what would have been a great path to get to the final four in Gray’s senior year but a 5 point play and a very flukey last few seconds sent us home in the second round.

The main point is you can almost never look at a team as being a final four team. There’s just too much randomness/luck involved. Even if you are a good number 1 seed the number 8/9 seed in your bracket is going to be a good team that can have a good day and catch you on a bad day and send you home before the opening weekend is over.

10 Likes

People should not take offense to what TJ said. Very different than minimizing our accomplishments like some of the media tried…
If Michigan doesn’t make the lucky shot or we make our FTs I think we would have been Elite 8 with a real chance at the Final Four that season
Bottom line is if you have to face 2-or 3 of the most talented teams playing their best basketball it is really difficult to play at that level each round to advance.

1 Like

Michigan also had that 4 point play prior to the game winner… That was extremely unlucky!

1 Like