It's officially "Told You So" week

This sums it up the best.

1 Like

If you look at the schedules of both Cincy and SMU, They aren’t loaded with tough OOC games. Cincy did beat a good ND team, but other than that they beat Miami (Ohio), Murray State, and Indiana. SMU’s OOC games were Abilene Christian, North Texas, La. Tech, and TCU. Though TCU is normally a decent team, they are 3-4 this year.

It is entirely possible we end up the regular season as the only AAC team undefeated in conference. It’s also possible that we end up playing SMU again in the CCG. If we win out and SMU only loses to us, they would have the tie breaker over Cincy because they would have beaten Cincy in regular season in SMU’s next to last game. If that did turn out to be the case, we would host the CCG.

3 Likes

What disappointing reality? We could experience a bad game against SMU and still finish the regular season 10-2.

That would NOT be disappointing. That goes into the record books and two years later, no one will care.

Too much drama being created by fans who expects CDH to become another Nick Saban and UH to be another BAMA .

6 Likes

Are you kidding? Half the posters here still talk about Applewhite. That was three years ago.

Unfortunately, some still do and none of that negative commentary about Applewhite, Herman, Levine, Sumlin, Briles, etc. will change the past. Complainers do what they do best…complain.

5 Likes

Well, every Talking Head under the sun are all saying “Well SMU is going to be playing Cincy in the Championship Game (I.e. Schlabaugh, et al.), and I am utterly sick of this garbage…

We need to beat SMU, so that all of these geniuses can eat a Giant S**t Burger…

4 Likes

If we finish the season at 10-2 I am a happy guy, and impressed with the team.

If we finish at finish at 11-1 and make it to the championship game (even if we lose) then I will be eating crow.

6 Likes

2015 we had no run game down the stretch and possession receivers.

Our defense is right there with that group. In my opinion this unit is overall a better.

This O needs to take what the D gives us and stay out of the way.

Stay way from the negative plays. We do that and we can beat good teams. This week is the measuring stick

2H on Sat night we struggled on the “take what the defense is giving you” as we weren’t able to catch them blitzing like Tulane did to our D. Will need to change as SMU will probably blitz us hard seeing how poorly we handled it.

2 Likes

Wanting our program to make significant progress as measured by beating a team with a winning record and also competing well and competently against the best teams in our league (if not beating them outright) is NOT wanting to be another BAMA. That’s such a distorted and misconstrued take on what the “we need to see more” crowd is saying.

3 Likes

What you described isnt exclusive of any UH fan. We all want to see more from the team. . What we fail to see is how calling for Holgorsens head or Tunes head helps anything at all about winning games. You or no one else on this board is going to get him replaced so why do it? Im really curious., Is it to feel better about yourself or something else? Is it to demonstrate football knowledge above all others? What is the motivation and intent of continually calling for someone to be removed when you are powerless to do it? I would really like to know if you have an answer.

2 Likes

If we played like we did against Tulsa every week we would be undefeated….

However, that is the only game I have seen us put it all together for a complete game…. Tulsa has proven they are a decent team and what the Coogs are capable of when hitting on all cylinders.

2 Likes

I agree. To date, Dana’s performance is definitely not beyond criticism. And most Coog fans want to see improvement especially on offense.

However, it does go both ways. Those in the “we need to see more” crowd have to understand there are some in that group that flat out don’t want Dana to be the head coach. And the constant harping on the schedule and every little flaw has those Dana supporters going to extremes as well.

I think we all see the flaws. Hopefully, we all want them fixed and for UH to be successful with the current coach. If ECU had won the game on Saturday, some of the negativity would be warranted. But instead of picking apart the season and any personality flaws of the current coach after every victory, can we keep it somewhat positive during a 6-game winning streak? It has not been pretty at times but they are W’s.

Unfortunately, Coogfans appears to be polarized to an extent so I expect a lot of “I told you so” here on Saturday night regardless of the outcome. But I really think that much like Twitter, the extremes on both sides are a very small minority of the posters and most just want the Coogs to be successful regardless of who the coach is at the moment.

1 Like

It’s mostly that people don’t see a definitive positive trend line for the program (outside of this year’s W-L record even though CDH is still under .500 overall at UH) and that is highly frustrating and they need/want to vent about it. Also, the most glaring red flags with the performance of the team and program (streaky play, offensive woes) are directly tied to CDH. So they’re using this outlet to voice frustration. Their voices collectively become reflected in the overall sentiment of the fan base which the admin definitely keeps track of to an extent among a wider array of things.

Through the years on this forum, I have seen people complain or gripe about concessions, parking, palm trees, tailgating pavilions, painting lines through the UH logo on the field, visibility or lack thereof of an American and Texas flag inside the stadium, Section 12X, fans standing or sitting, Five Star, restrooms at the 300 level and a whole host of other things. All of which fans on here have varying degrees of direct power or influence to change. The coaching and level of play of the team is not off limits in my opinion.

2 Likes

Leave the palm trees out of this! They never did anything to hurt you!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I can see frustration as a reason and venting is the reaction to it. On the other side, it is frustrating to see people wanting another coaching change, some even calling for it in years 1 and 2. We make fun of the Longhorns because of their coaching carousel then we seem to do it ourselves.

But rather than get on that bandwagon, I am staying on Pezmans bandwagon. If he calls for Holgorsens head then I am all in with that. Until then, I support what he supports and I haven’t heard anything to the contrary.

edit: If griping about the concessions by fans is an indication of our influence then I would say we are really bad at influencing anything. $11 for a can of beer and a limited selection isnt progress. :slightly_smiling_face:

I hear ya. To me, I think that the fan base being this polarized even after going 6-1 shows that CDH’s goodwill account with the fan base is over drafted with insufficient funds. The flaws are glaring and there’s no area/aspect of the program where he’s unquestionably killing it. That’s a recipe for a grumpy discontent fan base. That said, the “we need to see more” and the “Never Dana” crowd aren’t implacable. Every win he gets puts another decent deposit of credibility into the goodwill account. He’s getting pretty close to being in the black imo. Things that would help put him in the positive of goodwill with the fanbase:

• Get over .500 overall. (currently sitting at 13-14 for his tenure)
  • Team playing at a consistent good to high level.
  • Beating team(s) that’s over .500.
  • Getting to the CCG.
  • Get a near the top AAC/G5 recruiting class.

If he does that then I’d say the overall fan base would be quite content and less polarized (He’d win me over). If he won a CCG and gets to a NY6 and even wins that he’d win over the “Never Dana” discontents.

6 Likes

Being UH good enough for me. If we be who we are. We are capable of competing and dominating on the field. With the proper HC, staff and talent. Past history has shown this to be the case. Need to create a State of Houston mentality with the local top talent and former talent who enter the transfer portal

What’s shocking to me is that the defense is killing it. I did not expect that. I was going to say going to the CCG was a bit much to expect but any coach who has not made the CCG has been fired. Yikes…

Who has been since the break up of the SWC?

Helton 1x 4 seasons (after SWC)
Briles 1x 5 seasons
Sumlin 2x 4 seasons
Herman 1x 2 seasons

0-fers: Dimel (3), Levine (3), Applewhite (2)

Might want to review the depth chart