Ja'Lynn Polk In the transfer portal

When we traveled on the alumni trip in 1976 to Lubbock, we had the late return flight on SWA.

The bus dropped us off at the airport by the runway and we watched the plane land, we got on it and flew back to Houston.

We had to do it this way because their airport CLOSED at 9:00 pm.

1 Like

Was that article also on April fools day?
A mountain in Houston, why didnā€™t Sam Houston defend from it?

If you watched that Texas Rising mini series we were surrounded by mountains between here and San Antonio :smiley:

I often tell people, ā€œFort Worth and San Antonio are Texas; Austin is Austin, Houston is Houstonā€¦and Dallas?..Dallas is southern Oklahoma.ā€

Houston was Texas when I arrived. Not sure how I would describe it now

1 Like

Obviously he didnā€™t because he was on the attack not the defense, and besides, the mountain wasnā€™t next to the San Jacinto River where Santa Anna was camped out.

Oh, and yes, it was printed on April Fools Day. But thatā€™s no reason to doubt the ingenuity and resolve of the townsfolk in taking down a mountain, which has to be at least 1000 feet high, without modern equipment. Can you imagine how many wagon loads of dirt that took? Why, I marvel at the effort. Too bad they didnā€™t use it to raise the flood plains. :wink:

1 Like

Helps explain why Galveston bay is so shallow.

1 Like

I have done a half Ironman a couple times in Lubbock. The race was not that flat but I will emphasize they do those races in places with nothing.

Do they have a Ritz in Lubbock?

1 Like

Ritz crackers ā€“ yes, Ritz Hotel ā€“ no.

1 Like

Was in Lubbock last year - around campus.
Not a bad little bar/restaurant strip - similar to what they have in College Station by the Chicken
that being said, there was a massive dust storm while I was there. that sucked.

Itā€™s so flat that on a good day you can see the back of your head.

Good grief. The title of this thread needs to be changed to something about Lubbock.

So, anything more about Polk?

2 Likes

The Ritz heā€™s referring to is not a cracker or hotel. Thinkā€¦G-String.

1 Like

I think the Ritz heā€™s referring to is not a cracker or hotel. Thinkā€¦G-String.

Maybe there really was a mountain in Houston?

https://www.johnbridge.com/mount_houston.htm

East texas also - South dAllas is very country with plenty of East texas elements

Folks move to north Dallas to reinvent themselves lol

Houston is Texas. The rest is rural backwater or a hippie commune. :grin:

1 Like

Oh. My wife keeps me sheltered from those kinds of places. :slightly_smiling_face:

I think Polk is going to be the real deal. He played over 300 snaps for us (Tech) this year at a position group (our only one) that was loaded.

It was the most snaps played by a true FR WR for quite some time at Tech.

2 Likes