Jamal shead & UH assists records

Jamal Shead finishes the season with 200 assists

460 assists for his UH career.

Has a chance to move to 3rd place all time next season.

1 Like

Reid Gettys and Alvin Franklin combined for 12.6 assists per game in 1983-84 and 11.6 assists per game the following year.

By far the best assist duo in school history.

2 Likes

Ken Ciolli to David Marrs, Charles Thompson, Cecil Rose and Kenny Williams.

Thank you for the opportunity to bring up old, but not forgotten, players.

2 Likes

It’s wasn’t hard for Reid Gettys to throw the ball to Olajuwon, Drexler, or Young and then get out the way. His assists did not create scoring opportunities for his teammates. He literally threw the ball inside to Olajuwon, or he made the pass to Drexler or Young and let them do their thing. I’m not knocking him. I’ve met him and I like the guy. I’m just saying, sometimes, blind squirrels find nuts. That sums up Reid Gettys career at UH.

P.S. Give me #8 on the list…Otis Birdsong…my all-time favorite UH player. I wish I had a dollar for everyday that I played basketball on my driveway pretending to be #10 Otis Birdsong. Smoothest shooter from long range or the dribble drive pull up jumper…in my old memory, he never missed…at least that’s the way I remember it nearly 50 years later.

3 Likes

Well you never know who’s going to be player of the match but you certainly have to give high marks to this man.

Looking at the list and seeing the name Sweet Lou Dunbar reminded me of the early 1970s when Guy V. could roll out a line-up of Dunbar (6’9), Dwight Jones (6’11"), Maurice Pressly (6’10"), Sidney Edwards (6’9"), and Steve Newsome (6’9"). It was 1972, 1973, or 1974, but those early 70s team did not play around. They could score inside and they could press you with Dwight Jones hanging back to protect the rim. These days, we are lucky to get one or two kids over 6’8". Way back when, Guy V was rolling them out in waves of five.

1 Like

Was Ken Ciolli also known as “Chicken Man” ? ? ? ? ?

No, that was Mike Dunleavy of the Houston Rockets.

I thought both were. Were they not both playing about the same time ? ? ? ? ? Maybe I just dreamed it but I thought Ciolli would hit the shot that put us over 100 or some such . . . . .

1 Like

Jamal is at 497 assists for his UH career.

6 assists away from moving into 5th place all time

To surpass Reid Gettys, for 1st all time, he’ll need to average 8+ assists per game

4 Likes

Interesting that the assist leader and one of the guys tied for 5th place played for the same team over 3 years . . . . .

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/UHCougarMBK/status/1728170226943205779

14 Likes

Jamal Shead with 565 career assists.

14 away from surpassing, the Godfather, Galen Robinson Jr

Hes on pace to finish 3rd all time this season

9 Likes

We’ve been spoiled with Galen, Deeky and now $head at PG over the past 9 seasons.

4 Likes

Who would you say was better, Galen or Jamal?

Jamal

3 Likes

Imagine Birdsong with the 3 point line. He probably would have been in the 40% range for 3’s and if you went out to fast, he would have beaten you with the dribble and hit a pull up jumper or taken you to the hoop. Probably the smoothest shooter in UH history.

8 Likes

$head.

Jamal Shead w/ 574 career assists.

(5) assists away from passing Galen Robinson Jr

Ciolli was a great distributor.

His freshman year was one of my favorite teams.
Birdsong
Marrs
Thompson
Rose
Walker

1 Like