James Harden gone from Rockets

I remember first reading about this in the late 90s and if really was true, the story goes:

Portland was desperate for a big man leading up to the 1984 draft. They had the #2 pick behind Houston, who was bound to draft a 7-0 skilled center from UofH. Since Portland knew he was off the table, they reckoned the Rockets would consider unloading their other established center Ralph Sampson.

To that end they asked the Rockets for Sampson, and would offer in return the #2 overall draft pick, and as a sweetner, throw in a backup 2nd year swingman drafted at #14 the year before, Clyde Drexler.

Had fate called for it, the trade commences and Houston goes with big center at #1, and to balance the starting lineup with the 2nd pick, pairs him with a super athletic guard from the ACC.

2 Likes

I am not sure a young Dream, MU or Clyde could have handled all being on the same team

The rockets could have had Drexler in the prior draft when they drafted Sampson but they drafted Rodney McCray.

McCray was an ok player but he was drafted #3 overall. I guess Charlie Thomas didn’t see the NCAA semi-finals game.

The players drafted after McCray were:

Byron Scott
Antione Carr
Dale Ellis
Jeff Malone
Clyde Drexler.

Before Sampson’s knees gave out he was the real deal. He was every bit as good as Hakeem. One of the great what ifs is “What if Ralph Sampson had stayed healthy?”.

1 Like

Behind The Athletic paywall, but very good article about Harden and the Rockets for those with a subscription or other skills.

https://twitter.com/kellyikonba/status/1351203245478326272?s=21

How do we know the Rockets would have taken Jordan with the second pick? At the time, center Sam Bowie was considered the better player over Jordan.

As the old joke went:
Question: Who’s the only person to hold Michael Jordan under 20 points?
Answer North Carolina coach Dean Smith.

After if indeed the Rockets made that proposed trade, they may still have opted for the Twin Towers and paired Dream with the 7-foot Bowie.
The Rockets may have had Olajuwon, Bowie and Drexler.
But it would have been nice to have Olajuwon, Jordan and Drexler together on the same team even if Jordan and Drexler basically played the same position but move Clyde to the 3 since small forward is the position he played for Phi Slama Jama.

I still have 3 guest passes if anyone wants to try it out. Just use the link below. The Athletic is the only news subscription I’ve been willing to pay for. It’s really good.

Fascinating post. Lots of information I was not aware of especially the Rockets drafting McCray at #3 in front of all those guys I know very well. Don’t think I knew McCray at all as I started watching NBA in 1991.

I’ve heard that Sampson was a blue Chip NBA player. I Knew he and Hakeem led Houston to a Finals in the mid 80s. I just didn’t realize his status must have been like an Antony Davis nowadays where you don’t even consider trading him. I totally get why that 1984 scenario could have never played out.

Ralph Sampson was Naismith college basketball player of the year 3 times while Michael Jordan was Naismith player of the year once in 1984, same year Basketball Times Magazine name Olajuwon its player of the year.
Sampson was NBA rookie of the year and a NBA All-Star Game MVP.

True story, I took my son to a high school all star game many years ago and as we were leaving the stands at the Hof we see Sampson walking right at us. We smile, Sampson smiles and my son asks him “hey Ralph, where is Hakeem?” Ralph smiled and patted my son on the head.
Ralph was a great player
never forget that shot at the Lakers. Him and Dream made a great pair

5 Likes

" but the message here has been clear: Harden has prized his personal flexibility above financial security. That’s a choice plenty of superstars make. It’s never been as expensive as it’s about to be for Harden."

Still the only time I have seen Kareem get his sky hook rejected. Forget who got the block but having one defend with the other as weak side help was unreal in tandem.

Wasnt it Ralph Sampson with the block

It was Bill Willoughby