Jeremy Singleton in the portal again

Always liked Jeremy, he hasn’t reached his potential, hopefully he finds success wherever he lands.

1 Like

Pulling football scholarships is a recipe to get frozen out by HS coaches. If you ever want to recruit at the kid’s school again; pulling his scholarship for something other than criminal activity or egregious violation of school or team policy, is a big no, no.

3 Likes

He has no chance in the NFL…he’s leaving to play somewhere because our receiving core next year is going to be much better than this year…thank God

Exactly.

Whose scholarship have we pulled in basketball?

Every player has NFL dreams.

I don’t want to get into specific players by name. I know of a couple for a fact under old regimes.

I don’t have first hand knowledge under CKS, but generally when a player announces they are leaving and then shortly after that we bring in someone “better” and are at the scholarship limit usually the player leaving didn’t really have a choice, which has happened under CKS. Sometimes the limit gets hit before someone leaves, which I think happened once under CKS if I’m remembering correctly. I’m pretty sure we had an inbound transfer that had that happen to them at their old school. I know you follow the program so you can probably connect the dots I’m alluding to.

Coaches really try to avoid going over the limit for the following year during the season to not kill team chemistry, but even that happens every now and then.

I doubt just yanking a kids scholarship. I would imagine a conversation more along the lines of, “You really don’t figure into our future plans. You can ride the bench and be used for practice if you want to stay. Or, if you want to transfer, I know hundreds of coaches and I will help you find a school more in line with your level of ability.”

5 Likes

“Pulling” a scholarship isn’t the right word anyways since they renew year to year.

There are a million ways that conversation could go but my main point is that plenty of players likely get told implicitly or explicitly in some manner that they will need to play somewhere else the following year.

I think for it to be formally not renewed there needs to be some formalities, but it pretty much never gets to that point in D1 basketball since it’s in no one’s interest.

Some info on scholarships … don’t know how accurate it is.

1 Like

I think people are focused on the semantics of “pulling” a scholarship. To me if a coach tells a player he wont get on the field/court next season and its best to find somewhere else if he wants to play, that is basically not renewing the scholarship since its very unlikely a player will stay on if told bluntly he wont play. That is done all the time and as you said has been done on the basketball side for sure.

1 Like

Maybe so, but I doubt they get treated anywhere like Henry Steele does in “One On One”. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: (I imagine many of you youngins have probably never seen that 1977 movie…)

I am sure our football coaches know in advance when a kid is going portal…
I think coach Sampson has helped several kids find new destinations. I bet it is the same in football.

2 Likes

You are spot on sir.

I’m sure there was a conversation with CDH with JS.

I am sure they came to an agreement that his playing time might be reduced with the quality of the newcomers.
However, if Jeremy told CDH, “ I don’t care, I’m going to work harder, get better and prove I belong on the field” then coach would tell him something like “ I hope to see it”…. He would not tell him, “too bad your scholly is gone, you’ll have to do it as a walk on.”

Now, if you want to ask me about scholarships disappearing in college baseball I can talk to you all day. Different sport with extreme scholarship limits.

1 Like

with all the currently available scholarships and the need for experienced players at all positions and his talk of the importance of graduating, I would be truly shocked if coach pulled anyone’s scholarship

1 Like

I’ve heard calls and seen texts with a big program in the SEC.

Pulling scholly’s does not happen.

They just go about it the way TJCoog just mentioned.

“We’re bringing in guys at your position that we will want to give opportunities to. Your PT won’t be there next season. We support your decision if you choose to transfer”.

That’s kind of how the discussion goes.