Kansas Coach thoughts on NIL and Transfer Portal

It is not up to Coach Self to decide what they should battle through. That is the player’s decision.

Look, this whole thing has ripped the façade off of college athletics, especially football and men’s basketball, which subsidize all of the other sports. Academics is secondary to the players and the coaches. These guys are going to these schools for one reason, and that is to get an opportunity to continue at the the next level. Those players who believe that they have a legitimate shot at the NBA, Euro League or even China Pro ball are not going to sit and wait for Bill Self, Roy Williams, Coach K or Kelvin Sampson to determine their fate. They have the agency now to do it, and I applaud it. No other profession can restrict your movement. In fact, to do so would be considered a restraint of trade (Supreme Court said as much in its opinion on this).

This only applies to those top players; there is a reason bench warmers are not requesting transfers. Like most professions, these coaches are going to have to set aside their own egos and get down to eye level and convince these guys to buy in. If they cannot, then they should leave. Every other profession in the world is going through the same thing. This is why turnover is so high even in learned professions like the law, accounting, medicine, engineering, etc. These young people are just not interested in some old dude they don’t know telling them about perseverance. They see through the rhetoric and realize that “perseverance” is just another way to keep you working more for less.

1 Like

You better worry about the fans getting tired of all this garbage. Without fans ain’t nobody gonna be happy. I just hope Sampson can hang on a few more years

2 Likes

You’re right. There are a select few coaches that were born to coach college. They are the very best at it. When they find an environment they like they stay as long as they can.

I seem to recall a chat Sampson had. I don’t know if he was prefacing White’s first injury or Sasser’s. He was asked if the loss had the staff under pressure. He replied, (paraphrasing): “this is what we do. We love figuring things out like this”

3 Likes

Anyone else find it funny that it’s all the big schools or “blue bloods” in college football and basketball that are complaining about NIL and transfer portal? They all use the same dialogue that the playing field is not even. But you don’t hear many of the small schools or G5 schools complaining. I mean when’s the last time you heard the number 1 player in the nation go to a HBCU. I hate Memphis as much as the next coog but that’s a G5 school beating out elite blue bloods for the number 1 player in the transfer portal. Sounds like the playing field is evening out, they are just upset about it.

3 Likes

We just can’t be caught not using it also. I know we go after certain guys but I’m excited Jarace is coming and trust CKS. I hope whatever NIL deal he got we can afford for others of his caliber.

1 Like

NIL Agents are okay but not NBA draft agents? Got it. I hope the next generation enjoys this version of college sports. They can gather round the old guys to hear stories about when college sports were different than professional sports.

2 Likes

Agents for both the draft and NIL are fine as long as they are NCAA certified. NCAA started allowing agents for the draft 4 years ago or so.

Once again, its a bit extortionist to demand money from an affected third party who isn’t the payer in an NIL deal.

Kinda like an officer of a small company threatening to quit if his 401k balance doesn’t increase proportional to his demands.

Seems to me the NCAA got caught completely flat-footed. This type of behavior should result in a suspension for the player and termination for the agent. Its behavior, that if allowed to continue, pressures institutions to break NCAA rules.

(I know…I know…they’ve been doing it for years. Not the point. From a structural compliance perspective this will bring down the entire collective institution.)

Its basically pay for play

Either they were clueless or they knew exactly what they were doing and wanted it to go this direction.

1 Like

“The question becomes can schools like K-State, in a small city like Manhattan, Kansas, compete with schools like the University of Miami, which have billionaires handing out millions of dollars to college athletes? I would surmise that the days of hoping for an even playing field to compete at the highest level of college sports will never happen again in places like Manhattan. That makes me sad, but there is little that anyone can do about it now.”

1 Like

https://twitter.com/rossdellenger/status/1522381507146522625?s=21&t=Ci5PWP_xfL-8Jc_JSgKMRA

3 Likes

The deals like Sasser and Tramon with Star Pizza is exactly what NIL was supposed to permit, not give $50K to everyone on the offensive line at Texas. If the new rules are adopted, some players will still cut big deals with Nike or sports drink companies, but that won’t be the norm. And once it isn’t, some of those deals will tail off, too.

I’m sure whatever is decided will be tested in the courts. That’ll be interesting. Is the NCAA still interfering with athletes making NIL money? Get the popcorn.

1 Like

I can see the NIL creating jealousy and dissention in the locker room.

3 Likes

It’s a big yawn for me when I see P5 commissioners and ADs crying about NIL. They’re crying because of note having to share some power with athletes and the kids in revenue that is now going to collectives instead of their departments’ bank account. I’d listen more if it was the AD of Middle Tennessee heavily quoted in the article rather than the counterpart at The Ohio State Universit boohooing that they can’t lock players in and then shortchange them on NILs afterwards.

2 Likes

Yeah, the same people who would pine for the “good old days” of captive, indentured labor who cannot even ask a head coach for a quarter to call their parents without risk of expulsion?

Yeah, who doesn’t want to go back to the good old days?

Sorry but who cares? There is always jealousy and dissention in an organization. Someone you work with hates you because of your relationship with the boss, or your perceived higher compensation, maybe you are taller or better looking? It is a part of life. Arguing that because NIL rewards the better players by paying them more is silly. Do you believe that everyone should be paid the same, regardless of skill? Seems Un-American to me.

People too often compare sports teams to the military; its not. It is entertainment plain and simple.

We are talking about kids playing a game here, not a corporation. One guy comes as a heralded QB in HS and gets the big bucks NIL contract and the WRs are jealous because they got zilch. He is battling for the starting job with a kid who wasn’t heralded. Maybe the receivers will play harder and give extra effort for the less heralded guy. Maybe they just can’t quite make those great catches for the big bucks QB that they do for the other guy. Maybe dissention in the locker room spills out onto the field.

We have actually seen what dissention in the locker room can do for a team right here. Remember O’Korn’s 2nd year here? You can’t tell me the players didn’t play harder for Ward than O’Korn; heck, there were even tweets from players saying so when he took the reins. I thought Ward looked better in the games he played QB as a freshman when O’Korn had a good year, so I was happy with the outcome. Now that didn’t have anything to do with money, but it is an example of how locker room dissention can ruin a team.

BTW, as for the military comparisons, I have only used that as how kids are tougher than you think and the kids in the military face tougher training than on football teams and their drill instructors don’t worry about hurting their feelings.

2 Likes

Wait so are kids tough or are they petty jealous brats? Which is it?

These fantasies y’all make up in your heads to convince yourselves that NIL is an opened Pandora’s box is amazing to me.

Why would a WR risk their own playing time and success of the team to sabotage a QB purely out of resentment/spite? How would a coaching staff be oblivious to if their players are going all out or not in practice and in game?

They can be both. Have you seen all the jealousy and crap that goes on in the NBA, and they are older.

1 Like