Keep it classy

I can tell most of you guys have not been to an SEC football game before. The drunk fans and cursing is even worse in those stadiums.

Thatā€™s great and Iā€™m no moralist. But that doesnā€™t mean any of us has to tolerate obscenities and bad behavior. Besides, there are almost always women and children in earshot, but it goes beyond that. And you are certainly entitled to your opinion as am I.

2 Likes

Itā€™s ironic that some of you are supporting the right of drunks to be belligerent in public, yet criticize posters right to discuss it.

2 Likes

I, for one, donā€™t give a ratā€™s rear end what goes on in other stadiums. I like to take my wife and two boys (5 and 6) to the games. If someone around us is shouting obscenities, you can rest assured Iā€™m going to ask them to stop. You donā€™t have to act like a pompous jerk to have a great time at a ball game. Have a little respect for the people around you is all I ask. Iā€™m trying to teach my boys that and itā€™s difficult to do when ā€œadultsā€ behave this way.

For what itā€™s worth, I havenā€™t heard the foul version of Womp Womp yet. I guess that only happens in the student section?

3 Likes

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being against classless fans. Fortunately, I was around very cordial UH and OU fans tailgating and at the game. Drunkards are just thatā€¦drunkards, and as a result, messy and ugly.

1 Like

I had this problem our first year in TDECU and Cougar Pride told me to not approach the culprit. If there are fans bleeping out obscenities in TDECU go to the security guard and point them out. The security guard will approach them with one warning. If it reoccurs they will have them removed from the stadium. In my case the security guard approached the offender and the drunk stopped the obscenities. If one fan approaches another fan things could turn ugly. Let the people being paid deal with the issue.

2 Likes

it makes a very strong case that alcohol shouldnt be served at our gamesā€¦Nothing worse or more obnoxious than a drunk fanā€¦I really dislike that sort of thingā€¦Where i was, i didnt see it or hear it at all, during or after the gameā€¦glad of itā€¦

Stopping alcohol sales at the games will just change the manner in which people get drunk and take concession money out of our pockets. It will not eliminate obnoxious or drunk fans.

1 Like

Leave the bs to the pros. College should be sportsmen/women. Its a pity the pro crap has drifted down to college and high school

Quick question for all of the fans on here.
Which opponentā€™s fans was the most hostile or most violent that you have ever encountered at either a home, away, bowl, or neutral site?

UT keeps it classy and chants ā€œOU Sucksā€. Our fans should have stuck to that.

In my view aTm had the least classy fans, and LSU had the most classy. I mean, they yelled ā€œTiger Baitā€ on the way in, but once in the stands, they were very curious about our program and team. No profanity, no rudeness.

All you hear at aTm, by contrast, is ā€œBeat the Hell Outta Cougar High.ā€

1 Like

UT baseball fans are scum; not sure about their football fans. Tech fans can go either way. Aggies are pompous asses.

Air Force fans were nice at the bowl games; Penn State too as I had plenty that said congratulations on our way out. Most of the fans from the C-USA schools were pretty polite as well, especially the Tulane folks.

2 Likes

First and last time I had a beer thrown at me was the Super Regionals at ut-austin a couple years back.

Tulane folks were great when I did the roadie last year. Heck, a cheerleader walked out of the stadium next to my group and I joked ā€œOh, hereā€™s my date.ā€ and she and I proceeded to walk the next 400 yards arm in arm.
After that a few members of their band started walking with us and we grilled them on all the ins and out of their campus. It was a great environment.

1 Like

There is absolutely no excuses for cursing, drunk or not. You choose your words. No one else does.
The most deafening words to hear when you lose are ā€œGood gameā€ It is not #$%# or other cursing words. It sums up EVERYTHING. You can also hear ā€œthank you for coming or thank you for participatingā€ in that statement. It is the exclamation statement that we can all make that does make an impact.
Just think about the incredible effort that both team put into a game. Our words reflect our school. Put the shoe on the other foot. How would that make you feel to hear insults if we had lost? Come on, we are much better than that.

3 Likes

You know, last year, there were some students behind me and my family and they were chanting ā€œMF Cougarsā€ during the womp wompā€¦ after it calmed down, I nonchalantly brought up how they thought the media looked at us (UH and the fans) when hearing us chant thatā€¦ and if they would want their little children to come to a game and hear their mom and dad chant that. They stopped and thought about it and agreed it wouldnā€™t look good. I think it comes down to HOW you approach the discussion and not tackle it as being offended, but rather as saying, look, I love the coogs too, but if weā€™re going to be respected, we need to be respectful and not look or sound ghetto. This was at the AAC Championship Game.

2 Likes

Honestly, when Iā€™m bringing my 3 year old and my 15 year old daughters to the university I attended and earned my degree fromā€¦ the last thing I want them to walk away with isā€¦ a memory of how ā€œhoodā€ we are. They look up to me and they see me being a HUGE UH fan. I will politely engage in a discussion with those acting a little unruley or foul mouth by pointing out that the stadium is not a grown up only environment. Itā€™s a family environment. If they canā€™t accept thatā€¦ actually, if they canā€™t respect that, than Iā€™ll let security take care of it. Iā€™m far from a prudeā€¦ so so far, but when there are children around and cameras watching then maybe you should be on your best behavior.

2 Likes

So you couldnā€™t close the deal?

She was a cutie,so I would have been more than willing to travel back to take her to dinner, but alas she was meeting with friends outside the stadium, thus the mere 400-yard walk. (That and I was probably 15 years older)