Kellen Sampson

Kellen isn’t going anywhere.

He’s the coach in waiting at a program that he helped build and with an administration that he trusts.

He’s really close to his parents.
You think he’s going to take his kids and move away from his mom and dad (who they’re really close to)?

He’s really close to his dad and I think they both realize what a HUGE blessing it is to work with each other on something that is their passion.
Throw in his sister and mom are involved in the program and how close he is to the kids he helped recruit.

He’s definitely free to do whatever he wants but I would be really surprised if he left.

1 Like

See how no one refutes my report @Joprior23 first class facts :writing_hand:

There is no contract.

There is a contract… Pez put it in there even though Kellen/Kelvin didn’t request it…

In one of his pressers a couple of weeks ago, Kelvin said there isn’t a coach in waiting contract for Kellen. I don’t know what the actual wording is and your quote above doesn’t show it either. However, I will take CKS’s word over an article in the paper. I really don’t know what was referred to as a “functional title” of head coach in waiting. Schools don’t make comments, school employees do and what they say can be misleading. Also, who said it makes a big difference.

BTW, until I saw Kelvin’s presser and heard his comment, I was under the impression that Kellen is the coach in waiting – and still may be – however, after Kelvin’s comment, I assume it is not actually worded as such, But, I haven’t seen his contract and if you can produce it, I all for it.

Contract ran out in 2022. Don’t know the terms of a new one.

1 Like

CKS may have let it slip during yesterday’s Media Availability, but he did say something along the lines of “When Quannas & Kellen leave to go coach somewhere else”, basically saying that he’ll be able to replace them easily, but his daughter, Lauren (Media Director SPECIFICALLY for Men’s Basketball), isn’t as easily replaceable.

1 Like

I read another CKS interview sometime back where he specifically mentioned that Pez put those terms in Kellen’s contract separately from Kelvin’s contract…

Doesn’t matter… I don’t think CKS wants to retire in the next 5 years and I doubt Kellen wants to wait that long to take the reigns of a program… Just my opinion.

1 Like

Thats good news. I’ll take Kelvin for as many years as he wants to coach.

2 Likes

I highly doubt he coaches for 5 more years, if we win the Natty this year I could see him going out on top, but I’m thinking two years in Big 12 and that’s it

3 Likes

If he retired at the same age as Coach K… he’d coach for 8 more years…

And… If he does win one this year why not go for back-to-back-to-back-to-back… :grin:

5 Likes

What Kyle said :point_up_2:

2 Likes

Bigtime programs have a coach in waiting, like Shyer at Duke. There is no rebuild or down years (usually). It is nice not having any blue bloods in the sweet 16, that normally does not happen but it sets the stage for a new RED blood!

Go Coogs!

Well regardless of contract language, I would really love to keep Kellen. He has a real go eye for talent and is our main recruiter from what I have seen and heard.

3 Likes

Me too… And he’s making $300k/year…

He makes more than Alvin Brooks at Lamar…

Kellen is UH’s Oregon and Washington of the PAC 12.

A desirable brand, but everyone knows he is waiting to be the head coach of Houston. Just as Oregon and Washington are waiting patiently for a B10 invitation, Why hire Kellen when he will come to Houston when Kelvin retires?

1 Like

Tough to find a better first gig than Houston…

1 Like

I don’t understand why folks do not see this. He stands to lose more than he gains by leaving. He needs to continue to keep his name in the press and continue to do coaching interviews to drive his stock price up so he can demand a higher salary here at UH when the time comes.

1 Like

All very true, but perhaps Kellen wants to prove to himself that he can turnaround a struggling program himself, without the luxuries he has at UH. If it were me and I did that, it would do wonders for my self-confidence.

that same struggling program can expose him also and show he can’t win without his father or those luxuries

you gotta pick wisely