Kelvin Sampson Best Team Ever?

There no article on this particular topic. Just a random but logical thought. Next season basketball team will be legitimately NBA bound 2 deep. That is including The Coach of Year culture affect on the new and old additions. Not going to bring up the obvious. But if no major setbacks this Team could hit the 36 over/under easily.

1 Like

It was 2021-22

Shead, Sasser, Kyler Edwards, Taze Moore & T Mark

Fabian, Josh Carlton, Jwan Roberts, Reggie

Gotta be one of the older + talented teams, we’ve had. First year of the portal, before NIL sh*t

We probably dont land Edwards, Carlton, Taze in current NIL days, in my opinion.

But, i think next years team if we can get solid point guard from not only Uzan. But a 2nd guard. Then, very deep team

10 Likes

That was the last normal college basketball season. NIL got legalized on July 1st, 2021.

4 Likes

I think so… I think they’ll have as good of a shot to win a NC than ever. As long as they avoid season ending injuries to key players!!!

UH has to be the favorites right now.

4 Likes

I’m very excited about this team’s depth top to bottom.

What I want to know is if any of these players can improve:

Cryer: can he take his game to another level? Does he have another gear that hasn’t been tapped into?

Arcenueax: can he come back from this injury and be a more consistent 3pt threat and take his matchups off the dribble to the basket on offense? Consistently?

Javier: can he become a threat offensively?

Ramon: can he go back to confidently shooting and making threes off of the bench like his freshman year?

Mylik: can he improve his ballhandling, court vision and be more of an offensive threat?

Uzan: If the other players can make the improvements, they can take the pressure off of him.

I feel like we know what we will get from Roberts, sharp and jojo - barring injury these guys will at least be bigger, stronger, tougher and more experienced.

1 Like

Not best ever…we’ve had teams with more lethal offenses … next years team might not be a top 6 Sampson offense

plus the defensive rebounding might be not very good, like last year …

But I’ll say this next years team has the chance to his best ever defense and a historic level defense depending on who gets minutes

If we have games where we have lineups made up of these guys most of the game… it might end up 32-24

Uzan
Mylik
Arc
McCarthy

Tugler
Jwan
Francis
McFarland

Everything hinges on Uzan’s adjustment to the culture and ultimately to Sampson and his demands of the point guard position. Will it be a seamless process or will it be a bumpy learning experience for the kid? I think that the offense will depend on that result.

UH will likely be AMONG the favorites… that said, with NIL and the transfer portal, lot’s of (non UH) roster changes are still yet to come. For example, Kansas is out $pending NIL as will Arkansas, et al.

It know that Uzan is the guy, but I think that Jefferson has a chance to help us at the backup! CKS likes to play “good def” point guards.

Agreed. No one is talking about Jefferson but I think he’ll turns some heads with his defensive play.

1 Like

No one is talking about him because there are only some many minutes to go around.

I agree we should be talking about him. He’s underrated. However, you would have think that Malik is ahead of him in the depth chart considering Sampson is not huge on freshmen.

Can we stop with the overhypes lol?

I don’t want to go through another heartbreak again.

1 Like

And since NIL became official we’ve made it as high as #1, in the AP Poll. in the 2023-2023 season and the 2023-2024 and we have a legitimate shot to be ranked #1 for a third straight season.

The University of Houston is one of the biggest net winners in the post NIL world

No, UH’s current BB roster was mostly built during the pre-NIL and free transfer era.

I’m not sure what we can expect to see going forward. There are lots of programs around such as Kansas, North Carolina, Duke, UConn, Texas, Arkansas and even Louisville and Memphis that can and will out-bid UH for BB players if and when it comes down to guaranteed NIL money!

I guess only time will tell how UH will fare in this new Collegiate Semi-Pro BB era.

1 Like

What are you talking about?

WE added MULTIPLE transfer players via the NIL and used NIL $$ to get players like Shead, to STAY!

WE did the same thing this offseason to get 3 players to return.

We are one of the biggest NIL machines in College Basketball

OK that’s your opinion, but please show me one quote from any recent transfer to UH BB player - who came here because of our NIL program. Then compare that to the likes of Kansas & Texas & Arkansas & Memphis, et al.; all of which I think have much larger NIL funding for BB recruiting purposes.

That’s why you don’t see UH listed as a finalist for the very top rated transfers who are shopping around for NIL $$$. And the truth of the matter is that CKS doesn’t seem to want to play that game. And sure, he knew we had to raise NIL $$$ in order to keep the guys on our current roster, but we’re not out recruiting top transfers like Kansas, et al.

We spent over $500k to land LJ Cryer from Baylor.

LJ Cryer secured a notable NIL (Name, Image, and Likeness) deal amounting to $517K with a Houston-focused collective after transferring to the University of Houston. This agreement underscores his market value and highlights the increasing significance of NIL opportunities for collegiate athletes, especially those with a prominent athletic profile like Cryer.

I’m sure we paid 6 figures to land Taz Moore plus we’ve paid a ton to retain our own talent PLUS multiple other NIL marketing money:

You cant paid enough NIL for team chemistry and experience :nail_care:

1 Like

Other college teams have a hard time adjusting to UH play. Regardless if they have a bunch of 5 stars. Look at Memphis in the AAC. Every body gets better under Coach.That is the main selling point to recruits. Unlike majority just recruit based on potential but lack developmental foundations. Houston thrives on developing. Do not forget about Mercy Miller and McCarty. Ramon Walker could be the odd man out. That is how deep the team is. I’m not sure if anybody will redshirt. Who is not ready to play once fall starts? I mean Mercy Miller got snubbed for the All American game.

If J’wan Roberts develops a 10-15 ft. jump shot facing the basket this year, I may jump out of my seat.

1 Like