Kelvin Sampson Best Team Ever?

Lol I’m not falling for any offseason jump shooting videos. Until he takes one in the game I don’t believe it

7 Likes

Taze was virtually unknown before he came here

2 Likes

But we still paid him NIL money

Very true. Arkansas is the best example of a team that brought in lots of transfers (6) but didn’t do squat. On paper, they looked talented. Unfortunately, they didn’t have any team chemistry. Texas another school that brought in multiple players (5). Yet, they finsihed the season in 7th place in the B12.

Meanwhile, Houston only brought in 2 players, one of which didn’t do much, but managed to win the B12. Why? Team chemistry and player development.

While it’s fun to fantasize about an All-Star team full of highly touted transfers, it’s pretty clear you can’t go very far without solid coaching and team chemistry.

4 Likes

Will they outbid UH? I think it’s more of a situation where UH doesn’t want to pay that as opposed to they can’t pay that.

1 Like

I always wonder what our Covid year team would have done. They were playing good basketball.

4 Likes

Honestly felt it was our least consistent group though still capable of a second weekend.

If Milos, LJ, JoJo, J’Wan & Ja’Vier are healthy for the NCAAs - Look Out. Anybody else goes down we can make do.

If any of those key five go down we are scrambling - again.

1 Like

Yep but I think we have been all saying hay for awhile. I look for him to continue to drive and hook over bigger center.
I would just be happy to see him improve his free throw percentage

2 Likes

He wins Natty then it will be his best team ever!

1 Like

We will see how well UH and their NIL collectives can use the portal after the 24-25 season when UH could lose their top 6-8 players.

2 Likes

JoJo is special. The way he rotates and effects the game on defense and a lesser extent on offense is a beautiful thing to see!!! He’ll be like another starter off the bench !!!

I agree and as Jo Jo develops his offensive skills…look out…he has 1st team All American potential if he stays in school awhile.

1 Like

He is certainly a work in progress on offense but when he catches and starts pushing that powerful frame towards the hoop everyone better watch out

Talking to CKS at THE ROAD SHOW, I told him we were glad he came to DFW to see us and asked him how the team looks, and it maybe standard coach speak, but he said,
“this is the best team we have had so far”

7 Likes

It’s probably a little bit of coach speak. But not too far off this team’s defense has the potential to be at a generational level, line the type of D where they say years later. “This (unrelated team)'s defense is great but it’s not the 24-25 Houston team”

If the offense comes along with consistency, and as always health, there aren’t a lot of reasons why this team won’t be one of the last ones standing.

2 Likes

Definitely not Coach speak and I imagine experience has a lot to do with that statement.

1 Like

It’s going to be really interesting to see how quickly Milos gets up to speed on running our offense. Having literally every non-PG rotational player besides Dunn back, the rest of the team (including Mylik) should be able to speed up the learning curve for him. I suspect we’ll see a team in November that looks a lot like our teams normally look in January in terms of knowledge of the schemes and fluidity.

1 Like

He usually “under sells” …so this is encouraging

9 Likes

I will give Coach Sampson credit. Generally, Coach is a straight shooter. In his public interviews, the ratio of coachspeak to honest comments is lower than most coaches. It’s not coachspeak when he is asked a question and gives the reporter a dressing down for asking such a stupid question. He has so much experience with interviews, he does not need to go into coachspeak.

1 Like