Kiyron Powell now 6’10

I have no idea what to expect from Powell or Francis but I bet it is better than people realize. Our standards have been raised to a pretty high level here. If it was just about rebounding and rim protection I believe both are ready to make an impact. I think the 5th big will be limited in min and be a rotation between these two. From now to November I think all our bigs are going to make big jumps with a change in responsibilities without White or Carlton in the picture.

3 Likes

If he hangs around long enough, he’ll be able to add weight. :slightly_smiling_face:

He does have a nice shot, though. Even if he doesn’t add much weight, he could get strong enough to hold his own under the basket, and with that wingspan, he has some margin for error.

1 Like

It’s hard to gain weight when you’re growing height. Anything you gain just gets spread out. He won’t thicken until he stops growing taller. I’ll bet that next year we’ll see an entirely different player.

1 Like

Powell has the sweetest release on the team. His jumper is a thing of beauty.

7 Likes

Some guys aren’t ever going to bulk up. Powell is not going to be a bully on the court, that’s not his game. Plenty of pro guys have the same body type. Think more like a Fabian tyoe player. Powell is going be fine and surprise so many.

1 Like

I recall when Olajuwan first came to UH, he was a skinny sub 200 lb. recruit. Guy Lewis had him on a steak, fries and ice cream diet to add weight, along with a weight room program.

Some of the old timers here may remember this.

Olajuwan was raw when he first arrived (and was still growing). Not saying Powell is the next ‘Olajuwan’ but lot of similarities in early Olajuwan and the little I’ve seen in Powell.

And of course so much more is known about adding weight and building muscle than 40 years ago.

Powell is on the team so he must be a very hard worker. And a valuable asset in being 6’10".

UH coaching staff is tremendous at developing player skills. I will not be surprised at all to see an impactful Powell on the court.

Again, not saying he’s going to be another Olajuwan (impossible) but Powell could be very special.

1 Like

What made (H)Akeem special was his feet. Soccer made him completely different than anything anyone had seen.

Why don’t more basketball players play soccer in the offseason.

1 Like

Cuz they don’t want to tear their ACL. Not worth risking season ending injury.

And football guys should wrestle

Have him drink a 12 pack of PBR and eat a sack full of Jack In The Box tacos everyday. Worked for me.

7 Likes

I thought Jack in Box tacos always came in a two for, do they now sell them in a stack?

In my youth, they were sold individually. I believe they were 39 cents each.

1 Like

Because most athletes as tall as Dream don’t develop soccer :soccer: as their first sport

I went to one Jack In The Box last Fall where you could order either 2, 3, or 4 tacos as separate menu items.

4 Likes

My point was more about Olajuwan being a 190 lb. recruit when he arrived at UH. He was very successful bulking up.

Seems reasonable to think Powell could bulk up if that is what the coaching staff desires.

Olajuwon matured after he left UH.

But watching him at UH was sure fun. His quickness was unparalleled !

3 Likes

Dream absolutely hated working in the weight room before Coach Lewis convinced him different.
Even before he enrolled at UH pros at Fonde raved about his raw ability and agility.
Coach Lewis taught him to be a great defensive player and by his sophomore season he was getting his turnaround shot in the lane down.
Olajuwon will tell you today that coach Lewis made him the No.1 pick.
But the God given talent was always there just like Elvin Hayes.
But that’s another story!

2 Likes

A volume of muscle weighs more than a volume of fat.

JIB tacos. Actually, one of the single worst “things” ever “created” to eat, or rather stick into one’s body. The taco family cringes when that dysfunctional member of the family is mentioned.