Living on Mars in 20 years

Living in space or on Mars/Moon is too expensive. Very resource intensive. Research stations, sure, but the economics will never be good for settlement.

1 Like

Lots of metals in those rocks floating in the asteroid belt. The first person or country to mine those will own the world.

My dentist will not be there and neither will I.

1 Like

You think the Wild West was wild, wait until you are on another planet.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Saw a YouTube video years back about what would happen if Sun explodes.

Basically, we won’t know until hours after, we will be flung across space because we won’t be rotating around the sun’s magnetic pull, and we will probably be very cold, But not frozen. Eventually we would rotate around another planet or stars magnetic pull. If we don’t crash into our doom with something else.

Thinking about space just makes you feel small.

I expect that clip about Mos Eisley Spaceport will be relevant when we play Texas in DKR Stadium.

1 Like

Personally, I don’t think humans will be around in a million years. Mankind will very likely have found a way to destroy itself way before

1 Like

Set foot on Mars in 20 years yes.
Sustainable living? Not a chance.
I do think we when finally go we will make camp for awhile.

2 Likes

An actual settlement on Mars in 20 years
eh
DON’T put money on it.

1 Like

Didn’t think you could come back from Mars. Not a cosmologist but it is my understanding you wouldn’t come back to the same planet so to speak. I’ve always heard a Mars trip is one way. Like going shopping in the Fifth Ward.

1 Like

That will apply to the first human born on mars, they come to earth and our gravity makes them super weak or strong

Human touchdown on Mars in 20 years is very optimistic imho. Musk and company
originally had a date of 2018 for this. Still, the capabilities Starship might provide are
fascinating. With a fleet of them, it might be possible to have contact and settlement happening
not too far behind. The thing actually exists and has flown and landed live in Earths atmosphere.
Big first steps. It will probably be Musk or someone that follows him to make it happen. If he is
not in jail or gets too distracted with silly stuff.

Here is neat read on Starship that’s not too old.

1 Like

Well you guys with no vision are going to be left behind. Stay in your cave. Meanwhile Houston moves forward.

1 Like

If the sun explodes we will know in 8 minutes.

Yep sun is about 8 light minutes away; moon is about 1.25 light seconds away. Alpha Centauri,
nearest star, little over 4 light years away. Mars , at nearest point, about 3 light minutes away.

Elon says such baffling stuff. They are 8 billion humans right now, more than ever, i don’t think we have to worry about birth rates.

2 Likes

9 month trip there. Adjusting for delays for planet positioning, 21 month round trip.

1 Like

I still do not understand the push for a Mars base first over the Moon by many people out there - either wealthy or politicians.

From the Moon it is immensely easier to get a ship sent to Mars as you do not need to lift everything out of orbit in one huge launch. The launch is the most energy draining moment. Launching from the Moon takes little energy. Not to mention you can practice living on another body that is much closer should something go wrong.

2 Likes

You’re right 8 minutes if Sun exploded. From the video i was referring to the sun gradually going out so that was my mistake.

So what does this mean, overall? If the Sun suddenly stopped fusing hydrogen into heavier elements, here’s how things would change (neglecting the collapse of the interior of the star that would ensue):

For the first 10,000 years, everything would appear the same as always; there would be no drop in any measurable quantity coming from the Sun.
After 10,000 years, the X-rays, UV-rays, and bluer forms of light would start to disappear from the Sun’s spectrum. To us, on Earth, it would appear that the Sun was gradually cooling.
After 170,000 years of gradual cooling, the Sun would have changed colors from yellow to orange to red to deep, dark red, and would have gotten progressively dimmer. Over these 160,000 years, the Sun would drop from its current brightness to about one-thousandth of that brightness. In other words, the Sun would look as bright from Earth as it appears from Pluto today.
Beyond 170,000 years, the Sun will fade out of the visible spectrum and will only emit infrared light; at this point, there’s nothing left to prevent the Sun from collapsing under its own gravity.
So the answer, surprisingly, is that if the Sun “went out,” we’d have about 10,000 years before we noticed anything, and even then, it would just be a gradual dimming and cooling for over 100,000 years while we figured out what to do about it!

3 Likes