Looking at the film, some thing we need to correct fast

I was at the game and I can honestly say from my personal experience from being a football coach, Freeman only lost his position once. He stayed on top of his game while also maintaining position if his teammates got beat. Overall everyone did great, but there is always room for improvement. It was also just the first game, let’s not try to throw athletes under the bus and be negative, there is still a whole season ahead of us.

16 Likes

No exactly!

The right side of the line was the biggest problem, but just like not getting the holding calls on one side there was a play their DL had his hand in the face of Robinson pushing him back for 5 seconds and no call.

Am I the only one wondering where the OP got ahold of the film?

1 Like

His DVR?

Exactly!

Somehow I keep forgetting it’s easier than it looks…

You humps. Y’all got me thinking of Ihop pancakes now. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Same story for 3 seasons. Its just something he does. Some guys think they can make anything out of any snap. It takes time to learn that its better to throw the ball out of bounds and stay at 2nd and 10 than to try and be a hero and turn it over or lose yardage.

2 Likes

Hello Im new to the FORUM. Im a huge fan and supporter of Houston sports specifically. I often read the dialogue between friendenemies so im familiar with not step on toes. I just would like to share my thoughts on topics pre ordained. With that being said as to the relation to the discussion, if #6 starts again this week defense wont be able to get off the field much on 3rd down. Nickelback can not be played in that fashion and expect success as a whole. We can just ask Tom or Peyton how important that slot is to an offense. Rather ask the Defensive Coordinator what type of slot corner he is looking for. One that can support the run stop the shifty wr and also be fast. None #6 has in his arsenal. Im saying Doug Belk could single handedly cause a loss by watching film and not replacing that major liability. If that change happens with a GAMER then we can be borderline great.

1 Like

Guys, it was the 1st game of the season. Colleges don’t have the luxury of pre season games or even scrimmages to iron things out. Its the first the first time that you line up against another team, against a fellow scholarship player who wants to take away your man hood. Some things will go well others not so well, those of you that played at any level above Pop Warner know that. It was against a well coached, quality opponent that was trying to prove that they are more than just relevant. I think they proved that, if they’re not it will be a long season on Cullen Blvd. They had fanatic, to the nines, fan support on their home turf. The Coogs went in an did what they had to do, got the dub. Yep, The Coogs have got work to do to achieve our, errr… their goals and expectations. Lastly our coaches watch film also, I trust them to make the the right moves to correct what they saw on the field. Go Coogs #EATEMUP!

5 Likes

to the contrary, Dana is coaching him that we have plenty of speed to get open somewhere and to stay behind the LOS as long as he can…same thing he told Case.

Another thing is Tune didn’t throw one pass Saturday that was capable of being intercepted that I saw. He completed 70% of his passes which include 3 drops and 2 throw aways. It was a great day against a great defense.

3 Likes

It’s damned if you, damned if you don’t.

Holding on to the ball will result in either a sack or maybe a completion downfield. Throwing the ball away will always result in an incomplete pass.

Depends on the situation (on how much a completed pass is needed) but an incomplete is always always always better than a sack, particularly in the 4th quarter.

All that minutia said, Tune is getting a lot better at avoiding sacks, in my humble and amateur estimation.

1 Like

Hard to tell since I was at the game and haven’t seen a replay, but, were our guys just not getting open downfield? Tune was taking a lot of time back there early in the game and seemed like he had nowhere to go.

UTSA play good defense, their zones and man on man were good. Tune was looking deep. UTSA HIT QUICK SHORT PASSES. Harris is a good QB. When Tune threw short
UH drop the ball.

1 Like

#6 is name is Rogers. Rogers is 5,8" 175lb. Rogers gave too much room for the receivers to catch the ball. The first TD for UTSA was on Rogers plate.

I had the same question. On TV, the cameras are on Tune and not the WRs, so I couldn’t tell if they were open and Tune didn’t see them, or they were covered up. If the latter, it would have been nice to go to shorter routes. Despite some drops, we have the athletes for quick hitters. In my non-$5 million-per-year opinion, Trahan and Manjack could have had a lot of success on short routes. I imagine the offense will look a little different against Tech than it did Saturday.

Rogers also made some nice plays to help us with scoring 17 straight in the 4th.

8 Likes

I watched replay and he slipped when the WR made his cut then he and safety missed tackle. Still a catch if he doesn’t slip given cushion but likely tackled close to where caught.

1 Like

There were gaps in our secondary all day long. Fairly clear that communication was a problem. Especially when UTSA lined up two wideouts back to back on the same side. UTSA took advantage of those gaps and killed us down the middle from 10 - 20 yards.

1 Like