Mattress Mack signs 7 figure NIL deal with UH Basketball

This.

Mattress Mac pumping UHMBK and making outrageous wagers in Vegas is great pub for us in the city. Should garner some interest from Houstonians who had zero interest in our local college athletics.

1 Like

Seems like I remember 7 or 800 guys playing for DKR each year . . . . .

1 Like

Thanks Astros!

Get the jersey, take it to the flea
market.

Mack’s not going to get us on probation, is he? Betting tons of money on UH while donating money to UH. I just hope we’re not breaking any rules.

He isn’t donating to UH, he gave the team an NIL deal.

1 Like

One, the NCAA didn’t really do anything towards Miami, when some booster was posting about NIL offers on Twitter. So i think NIL crackdowns are kinda weak atm

Two, with the 5 year showcause that Sampson got after Indiana, im positve his program sticks to the rules. Got too good of a thing going here

2 Likes

He’s not donating- it’s a sponsorship deal with UH basketball.

The team will probably have to make appearances, possibly commercials.

3 Likes

The NCAA’s NIL policy prohibits “Compensation for athletic participation or achievement. Athletic performance may enhance a student-athlete’s NIL value, but athletic performance may not be the “consideration” for NIL compensation.”

Maybe some of you have thought this also, but let’s say UH is in the Top 10 in February and Mattress Mack places a huge bet on UH to win it all (and you get $3,000 of furniture free, free, free). UH wins it all and Mattress Mack gets paid. Mack could give some of his winnings to UH, but it would be outside of the NIL.

Can you imagine the local publicity and buzz that would create? Not all of it would be positive either.

2 Likes

I’m struggling to think of a time when local publicity was ever all positive. I’m not even sure such a thing is possible, so we take the winnings and deal with it.

1 Like

We do have the site where can get a Sasser jersey T shirt.

Need a new recliner. Guess where I’m going?

5 Likes

It would be on the school to not accept it then. I don’t see an issue really.

2 Likes

Why would anyone care? It would be a private citizen legally donating his legal gambling winnings to a public university.

How is that different than an unknown donor donating his/her gambling winnings? Is it because he has been so public with it?

The NIL is a completely different subject. That’s a sponsorship deal with his company.

2 Likes

There is no issue with Mattress Mack giving some of his winnings to UH. In fact, I would highly encourage it.

2 Likes

Should be getting close to the marketing blitz for Mattress Mac and UH Hoop.
Just before AAC hoop Tourney ? Those will be some fun ads.

He will want to do it big. It would not surprise me if he spent the $$$ for a Final Four ad.

3 Likes

Fingers?

He already has bet 1.5 million in the coogs to win it all.

1 Like

Actually, I believe he has bet $2.5 million

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1620263655999954945?s=20

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1620265045623205888?s=20

Mattress Mack took the team to Del Frisco’s tonight.

Photo from @Dusty_Coog20 on Twitter

15 Likes