Memphis

They were our main rival. Past tense.

You know, if I were a betting man, I bet UCF and Cinci aren’t harping on their message boards about former AAC rivals.

I imagine they’re looking forward and talking about West Virginia, TCU, K-State, and Baylor’s recruits and incoming transfers.

I don’t care how “fascinating” their top recruit’s criminal history is to some of you on this board. I don’t care if their top PG is a true freshman. Memphis is irrelevant to our program until we meet them in the tourney or a regular season non-conference game. They mean nothing to to our program’s goals and sustained success going into the Big XII next season.

Someone start a thread on Baylor’s perimeter play, Kansas’ incoming talent, Iowa St’s home vs away splits.

Who gives a sh*t about Memphis?

7 Likes

How much did you bet because I’m collecting… UCF is 100% talking about usf

2 Likes

really how much are you betting? here is a screen shot of this exact same coversation going on in the UC forum

theres not a single thread in the ucf or uc forum talking about big 12 matchups, but stuff talking about old aac rivals… you guys think us carrying about the aac is odd, you guys pretending you dont care are the odd ones… or you wouldn’t keep commenting and checking on this thread at all (The people who genienuly dont care havent opened this thread)
i made a big 12 thread it sank it 1 day…becuase no one cares…we dont have vested interest in them yet… their players werent yelling “F U Houston” before a game that was decided by a game winner…

3 Likes

Harping? Or just talking casually? It doesn’t matter. They should be talking about us.

If folks don’t want to see/read the thread there is an easy solution, mute it. I probably have 15 threads on here muted. Jumping on here to complain about is ridiculous.

7 Likes

Besides if we stop talking about Memphis I won’t get to butcher their name, Mum Phus! :laughing:

There is nothing odd about wanting to move on to bigger and better things and focusing on our roster and who our opponents are for next season.

You want to talk about Caleb Mills? I get that.
But taking a deep dive into their upcoming class has nothing to do with this basketball forum. They are not on our schedule and they do not impact our program’s outcome for next season.

This behavior is obsessive. Memphis was a short term rival. Hell they’ve been our rival for 3 years; not 4. We’ve been basketball relevant for the last 6 seasons and Memphis has been our rival for half that time. Cinci was our rival before then during the Cumberland years.

You and others are building Memphis up as some mainstay rival we’ve had for the past 30 seasons. And if you’re going to throw the Pender years in there as a longer rivalry when they were a top 5 program and we were an NIT powerhouse, then fooling you’re yourselves.

I’m not disputing what you’re saying. Some schools have that certain odor about them that makes you want to grind them into dust for some fanbases. Memphis happens to be one of them like Bevo (granted Bevo is more delectable to the taste imho), When we get to play and beat them as is for many here as well, we haven’t played them in almost 27 yrs. It’s like a great wine where some think it taste like boot polish others think it’s the best thing since drinking fresh mountain water. Disdain is all in the eye of the beholder.

1 Like

we were in a conference with them just last month… uconn who left the conference years ago and still trash talks them…

our behaviour is not obsessive (its normal), if im honest its the other way around… i feel you are being obsessive about pretending “you dont care”. everything weve talked about here has been spoken about in the uc forum (mikeys arrest, the schedule, is memphis going to be overrun by fau etc.), ucf isnt a basketball school, but they have active threads roasting usf … in 2-3 years memphis wont be topic here naturally, texas tech or kansas fans would have done something to piss us off and theyll have the vest interest…its wierd you trying to force it early…as the saying goes ‘Thy Doth Protest Too Much’

Mikey Williams’ arrest was the biggest topic in ALL OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL the last 3 days, but you didnt expect memphis main rival for the last 4 years to not even mention it?

side note: 4 years ago was the wiseman/precious year, where we were preseason co- #1 and they were trash talking us because they felt they should be sole #1 because of the nations #1 class (and we lost 4 starters) that they will destroy us … how does that year no count?? we were pinned against each other ALL year by the media even before the season…we were trash talking the year before that too

again i made a big 12 thread and it just sank because no one cares about the big 12 detailes yet, we havent played them …if i made a thread about oklahoma state; losing moussa cisse (big 12 dpoy) and Avery Anderson (arguably their best layer)… i promise it might get 2 responses and then never heard from again… the beauty of forums is threads is that things you dont care about sink…things you want to talk about rise

4 Likes

“why do people care about memphis” as i willingly click, open ,and read a thread clearly labelled memphis

16 Likes

Hate to break it to you, p, but trash talking us doesn’t necessarily mean rivalry. Have you noticed this board takes every opportunity to trash talk UT, but they hardly pay any attention to us.

We should be more like UT and pay no mind to a school who arrogantly thought they deserved a seat at the big conference table over us because they beat us in football four years in a row. That kind of reasoning comes from a fan base who wakes up in the morning and eats crayons for a living.

Their men’s basketball coach throws water bottles at the end of games and their women’s basketball team sucker punches opposing players in the handshake line.

So, yes, why are we wasting our time on a program beneath our standard and brand? Be like UT on this one and stand the f*ck down on Memphis basketball. They mean nothing.

I slipped your first and last paragraph and read the middle because that was in the spirit of the topic.

UH hasn’t played one single game in the Big 12 yet…
Rivalries are not created out of thin air…it comes with games played against each other and vested interest. Until then, most will talk about the teams they have played against regardless if they aren’t on the schedule anymore…

6 Likes

I get talking about Memphis, since they have been a rival for us the last few years. However, I have to agree with David in that there is a bit TOO much talk about them. Some on here go in depth on their roster moves and are locked in on every portal add/ subtraction and possible get for them. I’m surprised there isn’t talk about their support/ strength and conditioning staff. Do they focus that much on UH?

Too much focus would be creating multiple threads/topics about them on CoogsFans now that we’ve left the AAC.

Having 1 thread, where people discuss Memphis/Penny Hardaway/Mills isn’t obsessive.

Like some have mentioned:

“Mute” the conversation if you find it intirrating.

7 Likes

It’s a message board so people are free to talk about basketball related topics. That doesn’t take away from the fact that people are obsessed with Memphis and Penny, just like they’re obsessed with Texas.

As soon as this thread dies down, I’m sure there will be another one that pops up, most likely in the form of criticism, as though our shite don’t stink.

Lol, I probably have 100 muted.
:rofl:

1 Like

Huh! :joy:

We were memphis’ #1 rival. They were not ours.
Still a lot of fun to poke fun at them, especially since a lot of their fans set themselves up to be easy targets with their rhetoric.

2 Likes

Ok. Who was our #1 rival then?

1 Like