My take

Let’s judge after aac play bc it’s what we recruited to so far. Tech and Kansas have a head start on us by 4 or 5 yrs worth of recruits. Once we enter the big 12 then let’s judge after 2 yrs. Kanas has the top scoring offense in the nation or close. We’re going crazy after 3 games, 2 of which vs big 12 teams. If we lose a bunch of aac games this yr, I’ll agree with you but it prob is a case where we just need new coordinators. Sumlin wasn’t a great coach but had good coordinators. Herman had Orlando on def and ward bailed his off out. The prob isn’t Dana but the off coordinator or Dana needs to call plays or get the def back on track. However a great dual threat qb can make any def look bad and we played 3 in a row. We beat OU with ward and OU wasn’t a bad team on def.

10 Likes

Kansas doesn’t have more talent than us.

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

5 Likes

Their qb was the difference which is huge. I agree they might not be more talented but it was their qb. If we had their qb, we easily win yesterday.

3 Likes

This is true for the team as a whole, but I think more of our higher star talent are underclassmen. Not sure how KU’s disbursement looks, but my guess is if just looking at juniors and seniors KU would be rated higher than us, but not leaps and bounds.

We also don’t have one of our highest rated recruits and best players available.

Either way, I agree it’s not like talent-wise we shouldn’t be able to compete with KU. But it also seems flawed to automatically expect we should beat them as well.

4 Likes

Kansas coaches are doing more with less. Our coaches are doing less with more.

12 Likes

QB play can make the players around them look much better than they really are.

1 Like

2017 Kansas was 71st. We were 69th, 4th in AAC. Tech 49th
2018 60th vs 73rd, 5th in AAC. Tech 72nd.
2019 69th vs 73rd, 5th in AAC. Tech 62nd
2020 55th vs 72nd, 5th in AAC. Tech 48th
2021 63rd vs 85th, 7th in AAC. Tech 74th
2022 117th vs 50th, 2nd in AAC. Tech 43rd

Looking at 2018 for an example, we both had 20 3* but they had 2 4* and we had 0.

Not a drastic difference between 2017 to 2019 class. Definitely not blowout level difference.

1 Like

A dual threat qb is hard to stop entirely. Why is Holgerson in love with pro style qbs??

4 Likes

Maybe it’s easier to point the finger at the tall guy?

1 Like

Less likely to get injured the less the QB runs. We really have no depth past Tune so if he gets hurt we are probably done for the season just based on the talent behind him.

1 Like

Tune is a much greater dual (running) threat than Keenum was, especially his Sr year when he had 35 yards rushing. You don’t need a QB who can run. But if he can’t, you need at least an above average OL and a QB with good vision/decision making which we don’t have

2 Likes

Our offense has given up 10 sacks in just the first 3 games and has done so to less than stellar defenses in UTSA, Tech, and Kansas. We have actually been sacked more times than we have sacked our opponents. We really are Sack Avenue and I don’t mean that in a good way.

8 Likes

this needs more context… the air raid is built to rush and tire out defensive line… the air raid was called the great equalizer because it compensated for smaller teams inability to get great lineman…
youd ware d-lines out by giving them no time to rest, and the ball left the qbs hands secs after the hike with infinite quick passes (not enough time to get to the qb)…

we havent had great oline since the yeoamn era but have had tons of great teams despite that because of innovation… the air raid, run and shoot or dual threats…

with how holgs wants to run his offense, slow and methodical… run first, and with what weve shown to be able to recruit, IMO we are probably going to need a dual threat if we ever have a truly elite season under holgs (not inflated by easy schedules)… or reverting back to a true air raid

5 Likes

I get he wants to huddle more to save the defense, but the lack of quick passing plays just baffles me considering you are asking a QB who prior to last season had a history of poor decisions and lots of turnovers. I would think having the QB getting rid of the ball quicker would help him not panic and throw dumb interceptions.

5 Likes

We probably could have had him if we offered. He wasn’t highly recruited at all.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jalon-Daniels-46081530/high-school-231517/

That’s all I’m saying. The OP said we couldn’t compete because of their recruiting. That’s just not true.

2 Likes

Its a bunch of BS from coach Dana. Im tired of his arse for throwing the kids who have work hard all summer longer under the bus.

7 Likes

Let’s unleash tune and let him run more bc he’s better at it now and slides down at the end for first downs. If I was Dana, I’d let him do what he needs to do.

2 Likes

Yeah, he needs to rethink it.

1 Like

We have a dual threat, but he’s encouraged to stay in the pocket and not run if he can

1 Like