Name your HS football team(s) of choice!

Baytown Lee Ganders.

1 Like

!Katy Tigers

1 Like

BOO!!!

GO JORDAN HIGH!!!

My parents graduated from Baytown Lee

1 Like

Houston Lee Generals!
Coach Yeoman’s kids were all graduates as well…school is long gone but not forgotten…

1 Like

My late brother was an alum.

In my day, Smiley’s big rival was the season ender with the Galena Park Jackets. From the mid 60’s to mid 70’s, it usually decided the district championship.

1 Like

Port Neches-Groves Indians! Won the state title over Odessa Permian 20-10 my senior year, back when 4A was the highest classification. Had a great run of teams in the mid-70s, and have made the championship game once or twice since then. The rivalry game with Nederland each year, now called the Bum Phillips Bowl, is one of the best in the state. Back when I was in school, though, the big game was with Port Arthur Jefferson; very intense games. And no, I wasn’t a player, scrawny kids like me had no place on those great teams in the 70s. :grinning:

The 2007 and 2008 Humble Wildcats!!! I was a starter on both those years, and we won team of the week in back to back opening weeks against top ranked Eisenhower in 2007 (had Craig Loston as safety) and Cy Ridge in 2008 (Russell Shepard as QB).

In my day, Smiley’s was a meat market in Baton Rouge. They actually had a sign that read, “Smiley’s meat can’t be beat.”

i like that we’re reminiscing but why have our traditional high schools in the city have turned to trash in terms of football? Folks don’t have the same pride for the newer schools even though they have success

Don’t think I ever attended a Smiley game where the other side didn’t have a sign that said “Make Smiley frown”. Reminiscent of “Houston, you have a problem “.

Holy Cross tigers in New Orleans. I ran track and cross country there and it was like the sec in that whoever won district in the catholic league I was in had a great chance at winning state. The Catholic leagues in the New Orleans area dominate sports and it’s different there bc all the good athletes go to the Catholic schools in the greater New Orleans area. In Texas , they don’t allow the private schools to compete vs public but in New Orleans they do. Basically, the Catholic schools in New Orleans have the recruiting advantage bc kids migrate to the Catholic schools even though you can’t out right recruit. We had that wr from brother Martin high playing for UH a few yrs back then another wr from Rummel high in Metairie playing for UH. It was about an 8 team league in New Orleans that dominates in all sports.

That’s Ganado’s first game in Van Vleck. The Leopards had a good season this last year.

When I was in HS in the 60s Holy Cross of N.O. and Catholic HS in Baton Rouge were power teams wit Istrouma and Baton Rouge High and Woodlawn of Shreveport.

BTW, Strake Jesuit plays with the public schools in Houston.

Strake is in the same district as Pearland

Yep and my dad went to holy cross in the 50s and holy cross and Jesuit were the powers in New Orleans. Then later they built Metairie in the 60s from swamps they filled in and Rummel later emerged in the 60s and 70s taking recruits away along with brother Martin moving to canal st near the lake. It diluted the talent but mainly the Catholic schools were the powers generally. They now have John Curtis in the Catholic league but they are just a private school but get tons of great athletes. They basically let kids in if they are good in sports first. Lol, where as the others want good kids academically first then if they are good in sports, it’s a plus but kids gravitate to the league bc the public schools in Louisiana are very bad. I grew up in Metairie where it used to be a swamp for hunting and fishing.

Thats how we ended up in crosby, every suburb was pretty much equal so we went by mascot

3 Likes

what year?
Sterling '00
one of my best friends was Lee '00

Holy cross vs Jesuit would pack over 30k or more in the 50s 60s in old tad gormley stadium standing room only before the saints arrived in 1967.High school or college was the rage then pro sports killed attendance.