New Med School sneak peek

To some extent, but every medical student needs to rotate through certain specialties such as internal medicine, general surgery, and OB/gyn, and a lot of those have a significant inpatient component to them.

Even in family medicine residency, there’s a good amount of inpatient training.

2 Likes

Sounds like some real challenges getting the med
school fully operational to reach its potential. As for
hiring all the faculty , that’s probably tied to hospital
affiliations as well as paying competitive salary plus bonus to get good folks. Are major hospitals usually
only affiliated with 1 med school or can they have
multiple affiliations ?

Edit-here is 6 year cost estimate for a new med school.
It’s pegged at $92 million and this is a 2010 estimate :frowning:

Costs to Establish a New Medical School
The Coordinating Board staff estimates that the amount of general revenue needed to cover six-year start-up costs for a new medical school would be $92 million for administration, faculty, and staff. Estimates were developed through review of current state commitments to existing Texas health-related institutions and other states’ estimates to establish new medical schools.

https://www.thecb.state.tx.us/DocID/PDF\1515.PDF

Getting any endeavor off the ground requires great energy just like a rocket needs to escape the grasp of the Earth’s gravity.

Gang,

Central Michigan managed to get a fully accredited medical school in the middle of nowhere.

So did East Tennessee State.

Fret not.

2 Likes

I live in Michigan. CMU has to send its students all over the state for their inpatient rotations, similar to what TAMU has to do in Texas. CMU isn’t a school we want to aspire to be.

I think UH will be fine, but the lack of a good clinical affiliation is going to be one of its biggest challenges going forward.

2 Likes

My dad did med school at Wayne State after UMich, can ask his experience.

Wayne’s on the opposite side of the spectrum. Wayne is the biggest med school in the country. They have affiliations with most of the major hospitals in metro Detroit, though they’ve been losing ground to the other med schools.

1 Like

Aren’t we also affiliated with HCA in a heavy way for partnership and residencies?