New UH Bookstore

Dial it down a few notches. Jeez.

2 Likes

Agreed. Note sent to Rayos.

Let’s keep this thread focused on the bookstore, please. Not sure why this went off course, but let’s keep it civil … it’s the bookstore.

Thanks

1 Like

Just went this past weekend. It’s open on Saturday but only until three (the fan shop by the stadium is open until four). Their selection is ok but definitely less than when Barnes and Noble ran it. I still say give it a go if for no other reason than to tour campus. I swear once they finish the new quads, I’ll need a map.

Old quads rule baby!!! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Old Quads rule!

2 Likes

Okay, so we did our annual “move in weekend” Saturday trip…

The store feels very empty and the layout has changed some due to less options. This makes the store feel larger and more open, but at the expense of gear choices. For instance, all the goodies near checkout have moved and been downsized to make room for this giant maze of a feeder line. The cutdown of gear has allowed those goodies to move to where the coffee mugs and gifts are.

Volume of goods:
I’d say hat selection has been cut by about 1/2-2/3. And all other clothing types have been cut by about a 1/4, maybe more but defintely a 1/4.

Quality:
Many of the known brands (League, Nike, Columbia, Cutter and Buck, Retro) are still present that in the B&N days gave us unmatched selection, but the quality of the work leaves a lot to be desired and is a far cry from the eye catching quality/designs you could only get at the UC. If you like the same brands with lots of screen print instead of stitching and appliques then you will be pleased. As for me, i refuse to pay the same price for a sweater with screen print when I know I have the previous model with a quality appliqué. This could simply be the purchasing agent following company guidelines and getting in “cheaper” choices. From what I could see, the only thing cheaper was the quality and not the price. As for material, that seems consistent with past offerings of the various brands at least.

Sidenote: no women’s coach’s sideline polos were visible. Could have missed them, but not sure how since things are much thinner and visibility is improved.

Designs:
Long gone are all the cool academic and throwback logo items that used to take the UC beyond the next level (1 of many examples - the old logo baseball caps that always draw conversation and compliments). After that, the designs are mostly generic, adequate, but nothing that would blow you away. Feels like when I would buy books at the old UC and while at the register - throw in a $9.99 UH shirt that was in those clear tubes (i know some of you remember those)

Service:
The line was also a nasty feeder line that went fairly deep into the store with 1 register in use. We have never been further back than than 1 or 2 people on this annual trip. Not sure what that was about, but hopefully an outlier.

Conclusion:
Overall, we left with nothing and used the time to try on and size the 1 or 2 things that could be worth purchasing, but they were cool weather items and they shall be around and are subject to sales later (provided they still do them as in the past). So, I know my tastes may differ from some, so check for yourselves. I just thought i’d pass the word if it helped anyone. We were very disappointed to say the least, but I guess we are a few hundred bucks richer.

2 Likes

I expect the selection will get better over time. Especially if we buy up whatever they have. I was there Friday. Got a few things, they told me that they didn’t do the lifetime alumni discount yet because they didn’t know how to do it on the register or it wasn’t set up. Sounds like a pretty lame excuse (coming from a former college bookstore manager).

Also heard them blaming Barnes and Noble for taking all the textbook stock with them as to why they didn’t have books. I thought that was a nice piece of bull. Barnes and Noble may have done that but it’s not like they didn’t know ahead of time they got this contract and thus could have started buying stock in May.

3 Likes

That’s a bummer about the new book store. Like many of y’all, i would make one annual trip to UH to load up on UH gear for the season. I was actually going to go tomorrow but may wait until the selection improves or I find another way to get the latest and greatest polos and shorts.

I miss The College Store

4 Likes

You should still go, you can also visit the athletics gift shop the same day. Then hit up Academy on 59 @ Kirby if you’re still not satisfied.

5 Likes

I went a couple weeks ago. Felt the clothing and caps were pretty much the same with a few variances.
A little less in the other stuff category. I didn’t check on books but I assume they are still in the lower level of the shop?

When Kathy and her dogs were there it was a friendly spot.

Why did the U make the change? More revenue?

Wear a purple jacket and get 50% off…

Was at the bookstore to check the polo shirts. I usually wear a 3xl so my choices are limited. I thought their selection was decent. NIKE, cutter and Buck, Antigua, Columbia and a couple of others. They had some really cool outerwear, rain jackets and wind breaker types. Their T shirts were about the same . I was able to speak with the manager, she was very friendly, excited, running around making sure everyone was being attended to.k. She also said every week is like Christmas because they are still getting new apparel in every shipment . coming soon are Pete Millar & Tommy Bahama. I saw a really cool “sweat shirt “ blanket with UH logos on it. Along with the old school mesh cutoff jersey types. They were white with red lettering. Sadly my blind ass picked up the wrong size so I’ll be exchanging in next weekend.

2 Likes

Basically. Contract was up and Follett must have won the bid.