New uniforms connect UH to THE CITY in all new way

After seeing the comments all over social media yesterday, I can’t tell you how many times I saw non-UH fans comment that these blue uniforms made them want to root for Houston even though they are fans of other colleges.

REASON: Those colors connect UH directly to ALL HOUSTONIANS regardless of college affiliation. Yesterday the UH marketing department endeared the University of Houston to millions of fans in this city as has never been done before!

I HOPE THEY KEEP THE MOMENTUM AND USE THIS CONNECTION TO THE CITY FOR YEARS TO COME!
UH Oiler Uniform

43 Likes

For the older crowd yes, the younger people and people that moved here after the Oilers don’t even know who they were and could probably care less

4 Likes

UH should use these colors moving forward. Not just as a connection to Oilers and the colors that are associated with Houston, but to have a unique identity. There are like 20 teams that use some form of red and white as their colors. Think about teams like Miami, UCLA, Texas, etc…they are instantly recognized. UH should leverage all the positive buzz and make an obvious permanent decision.

13 Likes

I can’t be objective as a die hard Oilers fan from 1990-1994. Couldn’t be more ecstatic that UofH football is donning these threads Saturday

18 Likes

Just wish we had merch to sell.

20 Likes

It’s a no brainer. Basically everyone would buy.

7 Likes

It seems so simple to have some merchandise.

Like tshirts with Luv ya Coogs! Or Columbia blue hats with the UH logo on them.

Something.

2 Likes

Just keep the red and white and add Columbia blue as the piping or our third color. Ties us to the City’s colors and the Oilers. Then don’t dilute the effort with black or gray. That would be a win.

8 Likes

This can be marketed as celebrating the historical significance of football in the City of Houston, rather than an Oilers tribute. The City of Houston’s birthday is August 30th. UH is celebrating the City of Houston. The unis are simply a symbol to demonstrate the celebration.

6 Likes

Parker Ainsworth of Locked on Coogs’s podcast today talked about all the clues UH planted leading up to the uniform reveal. Good job but he missed one.

If you play the Carl Lewis video “This One is For You” backwards, you can hear “Luv Ya Coogs” in the background.

5 Likes

Agree that this was an absolute win all the way around.

UH got attention not just from Houston, but nationally. I had friends from Auburn, Michigan, Arizona texting me yesterday absolutely impressed by the unis and connection to Houston.

I’m not a native Houstonian but I did love the Oilers as a child and although I didn’t understand much, I understood what it meant to the city. I was fortunate to go to a few games and remember Luv Ya Blue. When the Oilers moved, I stopped watching the NFL. Never been to a Texans game and have no interest.

I’m not sure I can describe what it’s like for someone like me to see those colors come back onto the grid iron here in Houston, IRL. It’s surreal. And it’s my Coogs.

16 Likes

Would using a version of the roughnecks H logo on the helmet a bit too much?

Give me a polo with a big 12 logo on it and inject it into my veins

12 Likes

This, in essence, is a Coog It experience. We create a nationally recognized marketing home run with no merch follow up. The stuff would be flying out of Academy this weekend if there was merch licensing. This isn’t on the AD. It’s on the bureaucracy.

6 Likes

I will lose my mind if a song with a kazoo is played at TDECU tomorrow.

“Houston has the Cougars, the greatest football team. We take the ball from goal to goal like no one’s ever seen…”

7 Likes

Like in a good way or bad way?

I would love it, with the lyrics on the jumbotron, as a sing a long (change the lyrics from SB to major bowl). Just really lean into the nostalgia.

Even playing some of the old Dome scoreboard graphics

As a former member of the Houston Oilers Junior Quarterback Club when the Oilers played at Rice Stadium, I approve of these uniforms.

I am glad I was able to insert this somewhere. :grinning:

8 Likes

If Pez had been on the ball we would.

Now we have to wait….he only decided to order after the response……always a day late man.

7 Likes

Nope, not on him

1 Like

Duarte said due to the reaction from everyone, Pez said merch is on the way.

3 Likes