Next Head Coach

Bingo, I agree 100%.The right man can have this program back to competitive and respectability in very short order

1 Like

So you’re going to reestablish the neglected and frayed recruiting base within the Greater Houston area, pull in top recruits who would be sophomores at most, and have the good fortune that they are top producers in the Big 12 all in a tidy little span of two years. Good luck.

“Oh look, UH has a new coach. F all the other great Texas college programs, I’m going to where they’ve recently won SWAC championships.”

It’s much nore difficult to build something constructive, long-lasting and at a level that we think UH is deserving of than it is to destroy something which has been about three years in the making now though there were already fractures in the foundation. We’re Rosanne Barr. Sophia Vergara doesn’t happen in two years.

10% chance of being in the NCAAs 2 years after a new coach is brought in, and that’s being generous. And to do that would be short-lived in terms of having a prigram built that makes the tournament 7 of every 10 years.

1 Like

You’ve already blown your credibility on this matter having previously made the CWS as our goal this year. And yes, even Alabama A&M can have that as a goal. Unrealistic on all accounts.

I guess we’ll have to disagree…… but remember I said he could have the team back in the regionals in a couple of years…… I know that it takes much longer to establish a program that demands respect and sustains success for multiple years.

You say 10% chance at tourney in two years….I think there is really good chance Allen would have them back.

A couple of Of things I think you undervalue is Sean Allen’s respect as a player, coach , and recruiter……He has great reputation with high school coaches, showcase teams, etc….

The other thing is that you give no credit to the “Houston” name…… it was not long ago the Coogs were in regionals just about every year, supers a few times….our very own Coogs were a powerhouse and had many, many kids drafted….
I think there are many coaches watching the situation closely with regards to possible job opening here….even if it is not Allen I just want someone to turn the page and get it right….

Think about it, one of if not the best area in the country to recruit from, heading to Big 12, brand new beautiful facilities….
So do think there will many people at different levels that would love to work with the Coogs and put them back on top.

3 Likes

That sounds great and all, but to think that consistent tourney appearances begin two years after a new regime comes in is unrealistic, and I’m being nice. That’s two years in and we’re among the top 3-4 in the Big 12. Passing TCU, Baylor, Tech, and Oklahoma State no problem.

All the hype, past and facilities have been with us and how are things going? And the other Texas schools can’t lay claim to any of that?

Again 10% chance. Be sure to get down on wagers that have a 10% chance of winning.

Whitting got to a regional and super regional in his 4th and more importantly, Frank Anderson’s 2nd season. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to believe Allen could do it in 2 seasons. He probably wouldn’t come alone; I’d expect a few kids he was already recruiting and even a couple of his current players would follow him here. His biggest problem would be that what he would inherit from Whitting is much, much worse than what Whitting inherited from Rayner Noble.

1 Like

LOL, it was made in jest, and of course it’s not realistic at this time…BUT…if it’s not your goal to get to Omaha then wth are you doing even getting on the diamond

1 Like

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. Not sure how involved or close you are to the current state of baseball just in the greater Southeast Texas area but a coach like Sean Allen could absolutely turn this program around in very short order. At this point in time the entire program needs a reboot

1 Like

It is soooooooooo not too early. Where have you been?

1 Like

I’m involved in and connected to reality. I did play college baseball as far as that’s concerned. A lot of people “believe” a lot of things that are detached from reality.

No disrespect but the reality is the baseball world has changed since we all played many moons ago

2 Likes

I think several of us played baseball in college and have kids who play or played in college…. Having said that, it does not mean that others that did not play at that level do not have merit in their opinions.

And moving into the Big 12 will be extremely tough from the get go, no one is disputing that… but it’s a good thing. 1) you don’t have to worry about your RPI or resume if you take care of business 2) At least half that conference makes the tourney, nobody said we would win the Big 12 in a couple of years 3) Recruiting improves and rises to the level of what is expected in short order.

But again, agree to disagree.

How do we know Allen is even interested?

Exactly. I’d suspect Pezman has had this thought within the last couple years. If Allen was interested, and we had the money to pay him and a staff and buyout Whitting, we’d have done it at the end of last year.

“I think several of us played baseball in college and have kids who play or played in college…. Having said that, it does not mean that others that did not play at that level do not have merit in their opinions.”

Dude called me out as to my “merit”, so save the pecking order lesson for him questioning me … “Not sure how involved or close you are to the current state of baseball just in the greater Southeast Texas area” as if he is and I’m just some naive neophyte.

I was going to suggest Terry “swimming” Puhl, but after looking at his record at UHV, I’m not going to. Ha

It appears to me that CTW has lost “the fire in the belly” to win. Time for him to do the honorable thing and retire, not just collect a pay check.

1 Like

We all might disagree on some items but I think we all agree we need a change. Not calling you out and nor I am questioning your “merit”, sorry if it came off as such I am no baseball guru or claim to be. I have watched/followed most of the current crop of HS and JUCO talent that is just in our area, many since they were in 10U and before. There is some serious talent in this region and the right man can turn it around pretty quickly, that much I have no doubt of whatsoever.

1 Like

Terry Puhl is maybe 65 years old. No, thanks.

Sean Allen is clearly the guy. Also give Trip Couch and Paul Janish a look.

Don’t sleep on Espada.