Next Head Coach

Would Frank Anderson entertain coming here?

2 Likes

Anderson would be good. I know Berkman is a Rice man but I wouldn’t mind him on the staff to recruit someone who can hit the dang ball

2 Likes

So we have 14 pitchers who have not touched a ball and Cherry who threw 37 pitches Friday is starting….

3 Likes

Any chance of giving Frank Anderson another HC opportunity?

Someone posted in another topic on the subject that FA has received HC offers from other schools but is not interested. At this stage of his career, he only wants to work with pitchers.

I’m okay with Cherry starting, but unless he’s throwing a no-hitter, Whitting should pull him after 3 innings and give some of the 14 some work. I can remember early season games like this when Noble would use nine pitchers for one inning each.

2 Likes

It was not that he started…. And I’m okay with a bullpen game once a week.

My issue was that he had just thrown three innings, two of which were subpar…. You had 14 pitchers that had zero work….get these guys out there for an inning apiece, get their feet wet and see how they do….if he doesn’t have enough confidence in a kid to throw one inning in a mid week game then why are they on the team? That is what makes no sense to me….it makes me think that no one on staff even had eyes on some of these kids(instead, just took them on a phone call recommendation, it happens in baseball) when they offered him a spot on the team, then found out in the fall the kid was not good enough to compete.

3 Likes

Thats a major problem with the transfer portal. I spoke to a college assistant (not UH) that says its just names in the portal, no contact information. So they typically have to find them via social media and watch clips of them and make an offer based on short videos and their stats from previous teams.

Recruiting locally you can have eyes on them during several HS games/select games during the year.

What a radical concept. So we’re in Houston, and Oklahoma State is in Stillwater. So what you’re saying is that UH should have an advantage recruiting in the Greater Houston area, and Oklahoma State in the Stillwater cow pasture. I don’t know, maybe we should hire a research firm to conduct a test and see if that is and should actually be true.

Yea, it seems like you’d be better off giving these guys some innings in out-of-conference games so you know who you might be able to depend on in conference.

Sure you want to win OOC games, but I would think doing well in conference would be most important at this point in our program’s trajectory.

If it means risking a few OOC games to gauge these guys, then so be it.

1 Like

Lance Berkman

Nope

3 Likes

Someone with a pipeline beyond Houston that can get legit talent still

You’ll lose a lot of time recruiting some kid in the Woodlands because of old stigmas surrounding UH even though the parents went there Cause of lax of exposure - but that same kid in another area would jump to move to Houston

We don’t have baseball played at a high level in the loop anymore so you can’t count on Bellaire and Lamar to produce kids who understand the area

2 Likes

Or maybe Terry Puhl? He is coaching UH-Victoria so he has some collegiate experience and a name conducive to recruiting just like Berkman…

Except his name is only known to the grandparents of current recruits. :joy:

1 Like

How has he done at Victoria?

Not good.

310- 325 record.

65 years old.

We need Sean Allen moving into Big 12.

4 Likes

Yep not good but i liked him as a player lol.

1 Like

So did I , sweet lefty swing…. Were you an Astro Buddy by chance?

1 Like

Was an Astros buddy in late 60s, early 70s.
Jimmy Wynn & Doug Rader were my Astro buddies. :smiley:

5 Likes