Next Head Coach

He’s 60ish. I guess Wayne wasn’t young when he went to Rice either.

Wow He doesn’t look that old :joy:

Coach Arrington is a fantastic coach and his numbers speak for itself….
I’ll be honest, it’s a name that I had not even thought about….The Coogs could do a lot worse for sure.
San Jac is a machine and he is the man responsible….best JUCO coach in the country right in our backyard.

I’m surprised he never made the jump to D-1 before….I don’t know if he just loves SJ that much or what….I would think he would be one of the highest paid JUCO coaches in the country….I can’t imagine he has never interviewed for a d-1 job.

I usually steer my guys away from Juco’s just because it’s such a number crunch ….I encourage them to go to a small d-1 or even d-2 to prove themselves….

The only pause I would have and it’s just a small one would be his age….I’m guessing he is late 50’s? Will Pez want a younger guy? Who knows with that guy.

I can tell you that Arrington has credibility and I think it would carry over if all the sudden he was the head of UH heading to the Big 12……He would not have a problem getting talent IMO.

4 Likes

Hell 60 is nothing. Just get us out of the dumpster fire and retire a legend here in 8 years

2 Likes

I agree.

I’m just coming at it from how our distinguished athletic director might.

1 Like

Coach A does one heck of a job, nice guy to boot. JUCO world is not for the timid that’s for damn sure. Buds that played pro ball always said if you can hang in JUCO you can hang anywhere. Like Pollard said the numbers game is absolutely brutal there. There were 85 players in camp when son played there and that’s before the D1 transfers come in after Fall Semester

1 Like

Some of the best pro players broke in from JUCO ball…Hall of fame players…and that stands true for most sports

Does that still happen quite a bit or mostly a relic of the Clemens era?

A HS classmate’s son went to San Jac CC, then LSU for a year and had a couple cups of coffee in the bigs. Not sure if it happens much.

1 Like

Ummm okay :ok_hand:

Thanks for that bit of information……cutting edge as always.

Still happens all the time……maybe not to the level it once did….especially with the portal now.

Also, don’t discount the talent……just one example.
Kid is stud coming out of high school….not happy with where he was drafted……does not want to spend three years in college( most kids) before being draft eligible so they purposely go JUCO……they are then draft eligible after first year or can go back for year two and then be eligible again.

1 Like

Considering those 85 kids trying to get a JUCO spot on a 27 man roster. That takes decent talent management how many ships are available in JC? It’s cheaper than a four year college but some of these JCs, like Trinity Valley, Angelina, etc, have really crappy dorms.

What exactly is your issue here…by the way…I’ve forgot more about baseball than you’ll ever know…you sound bitter…maybe didn’t make it…get a life

No, honestly I don’t like all the brutal name calling you do on the political board….you can slide over here….but you are the same person that should have been banned along time ago….some of the posters on this board may not know what a horrible human being you are….but I’ll bet you they take my word for it….if not they can go see for themselves……so, I really don’t care what your lame opinion on this board is about.

And your comment that you have “forgotten more about baseball than I’ll ever know”.

Well you are probably right….I’ve only just begun following the Cougars team but I’ve been to see a couple of Astros games….what makes you think you know so much more?

1 Like

We differ in politics…that’s for sure…save your insults…just leave it there…this is the Baseball board…to answer your question is I played here in the early 80’s under Coach Walton…best coach ever to coach here and it’s not debatable…hunted with him several times…so yeah…just hush…tell us your story?

7 Likes

We differ in politics…that’s for sure…save your insults…just leave it there…this is the Baseball board…to answer your question is I played here in the early 80’s under Coach Walton…best coach ever to coach here and it’s not debatable…hunted with him several times…so yeah…just hush…tell us your story?
[/quote

Well my issue with you has nothing to do with politics….but sure, I’ll leave it boss.

I won’t question whether or not you played at UH, I really don’t care….But then you follow up with non-sense….you played for Coach Walton who you say was the best coach in UH history AND you double down and say it’s not even debatable….I’m sure you favor him because he took you hunting….but coaches are judged on SUCCESS….love him, hate him or somewhere in between Coach Noble had more success at UH than any other coach in History, and he did it in CUSA not the SWC so not only is your point “debatable “ it’s not even close to being true……Hell, CTW is right behind him……Your guy is third at best if you take bias out of it.

Now was that what makes you think you have “forgotten more about baseball than I’ll ever know”? BTW, I’ve NEVER ever heard that one before….-1 point for lack of creativity….but seriously is that why?

You’re like the guy at the poker table giddy with excitement about your full boat aces high and then four 7’s get thrown down.

I never played past little league but I watch A LOT of baseball….way more than you….

1 Like

Hometown Astros drafted Darryl Kile and Roy Oswalt out of juco ball.

You missed the point completely…I played with Rayner and friends to this day…CRW was a bigger than life mentor to everyone that played for him…a true players coach…Rayner would tell you that CRW was the best…

1 Like

Can you answer my questions about Juco ball?

1 Like