Nichelle Nichols and Bill Russel

Sadly appropriate they died on the same day. Both showed with dignity and grace how we can overcome racism in American. Both destroyed racist stereotypes and moved our country forward. Before there was a term “woke” these two were waking up Americans.

3 Likes

I don’t know much about Michele Nichols other than she had the first interracial kiss in TV history with Captain Kirk,

Bill Russell was a giant. Others needed to yell, Bill Russell just needed to talk.

He was called an Uncle Tom because he played for Boston and Red Auerbach, he was anything but a Uncle Tom.

Ohh no Karen is going remove that post now, you can’t say Uncle Tom on here

I have had multiple suspensions and multiple posts being eliminated. Whatever.

Bill Russell was a giant of men both on the court and off. He is who we should strive to be.

1 Like

He was called far worse by his own fans. I think what he had to go through should factor in when discussing how great he was. That would have broken (or at least slowed down) weaker men.

3 Likes

I was surprised when I found out Boston is considered a very racist town, I’ve heard the same about Philadelphia too.

Boston was for sure.

Northern and southern racism was very different.

Northern racism wanted to leave you with the thought that they were so much more enlightened than the south.

I was a fan of Nichelle Nichols. I may be wrong, but she cracked the barrier
of being a co-lead in a few episodes and I thought she pulled it off well.
Of course G. Roddenberry had set the goal of breaking down stereotypes , but
he made a good selection with her. She may have been the first Black actress
I had a TV crush on.

RIP Bill and Nichelle
Keep opening those hailing frequencies.

3 Likes

According to posters here there is no such thing as racism.

Always pushing the cultural marxisim

2 Likes

Does Star Trek offend you? Can you explain what cultural marxism is?

just responding to this post

I still have no idea what “cultural marxism” is

Cultural Marxism is the idea that traditional culture is the source of oppression in the modern world. Cultural Marxism is often linked to an insistence upon political correctness, and perpetual attacks on the foundations of culture: the nuclear family, marriage, patriotism, traditional morality, law and order, etc.

I hate to break this to you, but even wikipedia agrees that “cultural marxism” is most often a term used by anti-Semitic far-right types like Pat Buchanan and Lyndon Larouche.

The one guy I knew personally that likes to throw that term around is indeed that type of person (and in the past, has been a Holocaust denier and claimed that Jews weren’t “people of God”).

Of course, he was a militant Trump supporter who often used the term to describe Trump’s opponents.

The term first came into common use thanks to the work of far-right anti-Semitic Democrat (yes, he always claimed to be a Democrat), Lyndon Larouche and the Schiller Institute.

As such, you might be well-advised to avoid using it, whatever you intentions may be.

Quote: The term " Cultural Marxism " refers to a far-right antisemitic conspiracy theory which claims that Western Marxism is the basis of continuing academic and intellectual efforts to subvert Western culture.[1][2][3] The conspiracy theory misrepresents the Frankfurt School as being responsible for modern progressive movements, identity politics, and political correctness, claiming there is an ongoing and intentional subversion of Western society via a planned culture war that undermines the Christian values of traditionalist conservatism and seeks to replace them with the culturally liberal values of the 1960s.[2][3][4]

A contemporary revival of the Nazi propaganda term “Cultural Bolshevism”,[5] the conspiracy theory originated in the United States during the 1990s.[6][7][note 1] While originally found only on the far-right political fringe, the term began to enter mainstream discourse in the 2010s and is now found globally.[7] The conspiracy theory of a Marxist culture war is promoted by right-wing politicians, fundamentalist religious leaders, political commentators in mainstream print and television media, and white supremacist terrorists,[8] and has been described as “a foundational element of the alt-right worldview”.[9] Scholarly analysis of the conspiracy theory has concluded that it has no basis in fact.[7][10]

1 Like

The phrase makes no sense to me. Marxism has become a pejorative that gets linked up to random stuff.

1 Like

Its wikipedia, not a reliable source

As I said, the one guy that I know personally that uses it is a big “alt-Right” Trump supporter and anti-Semite. He definitely denied the Holocaust in the past, although he may have backed off on that.

2 Likes

I can tell you that the term “Cultural Bolshevism” did indeed originate with the Nazis, and its modern term “Cultural Marxism” did indeed originate with far-right anti-Semite Lyndon Larouche.

Given that…you probably shouldn’t be using it.

1 Like

My guess is the same people that use this also randomly use commie, woke, nazi, etc without it making sense too.

1 Like