Nike and its new Olympic Games uniforms

Sorry folks we can show the replay…rated…

Zero difference. This is what the suit looks like on an actual human body of an Olympic track athlete and not a glossy plastic mannequin:

Lots of hullabaloo about nothing…

1 Like

Weird…was 90210 posting to body shame women?

Flo Jo was better looking

:face_with_peeking_eye:

Look at how far we’ve strayed…

I mean… I get it. If one doesn’t know sh!t it’s understandable why one would be susceptible to uniformed outrage. But just a minute of thinking would know that you see track athletes wearing all different kinds of gear all of the time.

But I also knew this was BS from the jump because I’m a sporting fan and just know better. Plus I remember seeing this in the lead up to Tokyo a few years back where Clayton Murphy unboxes all of the different gear he gets from USATF for being an Olympian.

I bookmarked the part where he specifically says an athlete selects what they want to wear from a list of options at the US Trials.

Sadly I gotta tap the sign…

1 Like

Germany already has the Nike ones.

1 Like

Well, those immoral germans! :smirk:

I don’t see the problem.

I’m not going to start trying to speak for women on this. Just don’t think it’s my place.

1 Like

Right but the narrative that Nike is forcing women T&F athletes to wear something obscene in order to over-sexualize them is belied by the fact that they have a full assortment of options to pick from and can wear whatever they’re most comfortable in to compete including an athletic hijab.

1 Like

It’s not that I won’t speak for women, it’s just I won’t speak without my wife’s permission.

2 Likes

And I’m saying it’s not my place to speak for them on that. Or the other way for that matter.

I do understand your point and those on the other side that are trying to be helpful (as opposed to just looking for reason to be outraged or controlling).

But we are a bunch of dudes (I think we all are anyway) talking about what a woman should or shouldn’t be wearing.

1 Like

I resemble that remark. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I mean… the discussion isn’t about what women should or shouldn’t be wearing. And I haven’t said a thing about what any athlete should or shouldn’t be wearing. I am simply debunking the misinformation and pointing out facts that Nike provides a plethora of options for both men and women athletes and no one has to and much less is forced to compete in the kit in the OP if they don’t want to. One side is being reactionary with ignorance and misinformation. The other is being rational with understanding for what is reality and the facts.

1 Like

Probably, but they may be right at some level. I really don’t know and don’t feel like it’s my place to say.

That’s all I’m saying.

1 Like

They would first need to present a coherent thesis based in facts and reality for them to be right at any level. The complaints they’ve put forward:

Nike is sexualizing women by forcing them to compete in the singlet onesie. False

Nike designed a skimpier uniform for women. False

No athlete wants to wear that. False

Nike should provide other options for athletes to wear. They already do.

And all of it based on just a pretty bad publicity photo of one ill-fitting kit on a mannequin. It’s all uniformed outrage. Learning the facts and understanding the reality is available to all of us and correcting misinformation and pushing back on ignorance is anyone’s place regardless of the subject matter.

1 Like

It is manufactured outrage. A version of the uniform has been available and athletes can choose to wear it or not, athletes in other countries already wear a version of it.

Just more fake outrage.

2 Likes

If there is a choice, I definitely agree.

I have no idea what choices in uniform are or are not available to women in the 2024 Olympics.

But I know a lot of women athletes have complained about the new uniforms in several articles I’ve read.

This makes me think that the choices aren’t as broad as some of you are insisting are available.