Now we are Cincinnati fans!

The title of this thread seems ridiculous.

Could someone remind me of (1) when UT fans become OU fans, or (2) when ATM fans become Alabama fans or (3) when Michigan fans become Ohio State fans or (4) when Miami fans become Clemson fans…and then I’d have to begin to reconsider this conference mate thing.

Until then, this concept appears to be utter rubbish.

2 Likes

I guess you’ve never heard SEC - SEC - SEC chants?

3 Likes

They mention Cincinnati

Notre Dame’s epic win, the Big Ten’s confounding season and the CFP’s thrilling race for No. 4

via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app http://espn.com/app

Wake me up when a non P5 school is in the playoffs.

I suspect that I’ll sleep long and deeply.

4 Likes

Why don’t you focus on the solution…not the problem.

AAC members banding together by watching the games (ratings), mentioning UC deserves to be in the conversation resonates. ESPN is tracking how much support our conference gets…look at the games and TV slots

They can’t keep us silenced forever and UC making the playoff HELPS the University of Houston and our chances to make the playoff one day because thar BS barrier will already be removed.

1 Like

As has already been stated ad nasueum. Cincy making the playoffs (if it’s realistic, which is probably not the case) DOES NOT HELP UH.

It ONLY helps Cincy.

It won’t make the AAC P5, nor will it make UH P5. Given that, it will not give UH any sort of recruiting boost. It’ll be a good selling point to Cincy recruits, but not to UH recruits. It may help Cincy get an invite to a P5 conference, but it will not help UH to get such an invite. It will result in increased exposure for Cincy, but NOT for UH.

And no, telling recruits that they’ll get to play Cincy is not necessarily a selling point in recruiting. Getting to play in the best conference with frequent NC Alabama has NOT made Vandy a recruiting powerhouse. Clemson has finished #1 before. Didn’t help Wake Forest’s recruiting. So please, don’t let anyone tell you that getting to play against the best, or getting to be in a conference with the best, necessarily helps you. Playing against the best and BEATING the best helps you, but playing them and getting your butt kicked (see UH yesterday) does NOT. It only HURTS your program, and its recruiting. Given that, there’s no good reason to either a) not want UH to win yesterday (a few people here tried to make that case), or b) cheer for Cincy to do what we wish we could do. That only helps Cincy’s chances of escaping relegation to the G5, while doing nothing to help our own.

That said, a playoff invite for Cincy likely isn’t happening, as UH’s own broadcast crew has already acknowledged…so the point is moot. That pretty much makes any question about Cincy “helping” other G5 teams through its success a purely ACADEMIC question, at best.

3 Likes

How does telling a possible recruit that there is proof the American Athletic Conference CAN and DID produce a playoff team not help us?

Many 4 and 5 star recruits turn us away because they don’t believe they can ever play on the “big stage”. Having an AAC team prove that to be false will get more recruits to consider the University of Houston.

As the conference consistently raises the bar…so do all the programs in the Conference.

And I’ll play “devil’s advocate” and assume it ONLY helps Cincinnati and THEIR recruitung. Now, we have a juggernaut on our schedule that improves OUR schedule in a year WE make a serious run at the playoff.

There is no downsize for the AAC to have a playoff participant.

2 Likes

Agree as long as it is our Coogs making the noise! Cincy making the playoffs is a joke but despite a weak schedule I think they finish with a “token” top 10 rating.

Answer: because a) it likely won’t happen, and b) even if it did, if WE are not said playoff team, it doesn’t really help us, any more than being in the same conference with a playoff or national champion like Bama or Clemson helps Vandy or Wake Forest and their recruiting efforts.

As long as the AAC isn’t P5, it will never be considered the “big stage.” Cincy’s success won’t change the AAC’s G5 non-big stage status, and recruits know that. Given that, Cincy’s success won’t disprove that notion that recruits won’t be playing on the “big stage” if they come to UH, and as such, it won’t help UH in recruiting.

Not sure why anyone here doesn’t understand that.

It may help Cincy to jump from the small stage to the big stage, but it doesn’t NOTHING for UH.

Then again, Cincy probably WON’T make the playoffs, no matter what they do, so the point is moot.

That makes any question as to whether such a playoff run would help other AAC schools an “academic” question, at best.

Under Holgi?

Our fall started with Major after the 2016 season and ended with our worse bowl loss in our history against Army on Major’s watch. If Major wasn’t fired after the 2018 season he would not have made it through the 2019 season while he would have been coaching for his job and doing everything he could to win and with limited to no RS (except for DK and a few others).

Dana has been charged with digging ourselves out of the football abyss Major planted us in. Expect 3 to 5 years for that to happen.

1 Like

I’ve mentioned how in several comments in the other thread and you conveniently never responded to them. Doesn’t fit your fantasy narrative.

Wow… I’m hearing a lot of “we are always going to be a mid major…accept it”

Why not try to elevate the status of the American Athletic Conference. Getting a team into the playoff is good, no GREAT, next step.

1 Like

im pretty sure Iowa State (or any other bottom tier P5 program) has as more 4 star recruits and higher recruiing rankings than us.

The reason…they play in a conference with access to the playoff NOT because those bottom tier P5 programs are legitimate playoff threats.

What does that have to do with cincinnati getting dominated in the playoffs widening the perceived gap between G5 and P5 and making it impossible for another G5 to make the playoffs?

UH winning only helps UH.

3 Likes

My conclusion on this issue too. No way they get in the top four. If they did it legitimizes the AAC, sets precedent, etc. If UCF winning every game two years in a row does not get an invitation then there is zero chance for anyone else. Just my opinion.

1 Like

Latest odds of making the playoffs…

https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/1325520968194777088?s=21

And that’s the way it is and will be under the current system or realignment.

And damn…I hate giving Brett McMurphy credit for anything.

And I repeat…the heck with anybody who beats us. Their success does not help us one iota in getting where we want and need to be in the cfb pecking order.

But nice odds for UC and BYU. Would you rather have A&M make it? Hell NO!!!

1 Like

Cincinnati’s 38-10 win over the Coogs was so impressive that the Coaches Poll dropped them from #6 to #7. No P5/G5 prejudice there.

30-1 isn’t bad if you’re betting a horse race, but pretty much throwing money away if you are betting against the p5 schools ahead of you.