NY6: Our current dilemma

Biggest threats = Fresno State & UCF

• UCF has to win out until the AAC CCG. Bottom line.
  • Fresno State has to lose. They still have Boise St. & SDSU. They win out, we are in trouble.
  • We have to win out no ifs ands or buts. No choice.
7 Likes

I was about to make a logical rebuttal but then remembered there is no logic to the CFP poll. We just need to control the things we can control. Just win and let the chips fall where they may.

9 Likes

If Fresno wins out with wins over perceived good team Boise and SDSU and we beat UCF we still have a good chance of not making nY6.

3 Likes

What could hurt us is that we lost to Fresno State last year. All things being equal, the pollsters could throw their weight behind Fresno State.

1 Like

Last year is irrelevant. I’ve said from the beginning the weakness of our conference this year is a 30 mega-ton anchor.

2 Likes

They want an eye test?

Heisman and Lombardi finalist

One of the top offenses

8-1 against ranked teams

I guess they want JugularJohn running up the score again.

1 Like

We don’t have a top 100 defense. That kills us.

1 Like

We don’t have a NY6 defense, that’s for damn sure.

We do in the 2nd half lol

1 Like

Last 2 bowls lost to Mountain West. No Trap games allowed. CFP is designed to exclude us. No surprise

1 Like

There’s no dilemma.

Win out, beat UCF in the CCG, and we get the NY6 bid. Doesn’t matter what Fresno does.

9 Likes

Yeah I agree but if UCF loses any games then that may not be the case

2 Likes

I think it’s far more likely that Fresno loses before the end of the season than UCF.

3 Likes

Last year means diddily.

1 Like

Coog Defense is 61st in yards per play.

3 Likes

Depends. It’s certainly true that walk ons like Brown and Myres, first-year players like Sprewell (one offer), and others wouldn’t be on the second team at a place like Alabama. But a lot of fans don’t understand what a challenge it is to play good defense today given RPOs, especially a defense that has an offense like ours. We’re going to give up yards; that’s just the way it is. But we’re in the top half, #61, in yards per play given up, a tenth of a yard behind Todd Orlando’s much more talented defense at Texas and defensive guru Will Muschamp’s at South Carolina, and ahead of Ohio State, Boise, Wisconsin, and others. And we’ve given up a number of big plays in garbage time with reserves playing.

5 Likes

Good stuff Sam!!!

1 Like

This reminds me of season’s past. It’s feast or famine in the AAC. One team feasts while the others go to Frisco or Pompano. Oh what a razor thin margin for error! Kind of like pro soccer. Only one team escapes the hellish dirt fields of the second division.

Crossing my fingers.

The serenity prayer is applicable to this situation.

“God, grant me the Serenity, to accept the things I can not change, Courage to change the things I can, and Wisdom to know the difference.”

The CFP rankings, and polls for that matter, fall into the category of things we cannot change.

2 Likes

You are correct. The typical defensive rankings are not really valuable in this time where there is such a wide range of offensive styles and some games average a little of 100 plays in the game and other games average well over 150 plays a game. The best measurement I have seen is yards per play and turnover margins. In this case, our defense is respectable and from my viewpoint improving every game. You take out the garbage time yards given up by the 2nd & 3rd teams in the Rice game late, Arizona game, TSU game, Navy game and our ranking gets even higher.

2 Likes