Oliver Luck discussed as candidate for PAC-12 Commissioner

You are dedicated. I will give you that but please stop pretending that you graduated from U of H. Your agenda is as clear as spring water.
You could have done better but no you use and I quote:
“P5 program with an average attendance of 50k” then…YOU JUMPED on U of H with:
“PAC 12 administrators see empty seats at U of H games” then…blah blah blah

IS U of H PLAYING P5 teams WEEK AFTER WEEK IN A P5?
HOW IS U of H ATTENDANCE AGAINST P5 teams?

Thank you, Chris…Gadfly is the worst sort of troll…

Gadfly,

Would we be 4-8 or 6-6 if we are getting P5 recruits?

1 Like

At least I dwell in reality.

We are that playing G5 teams with G5 recruits.

What Coog51 stated earlier is on point. The stadium was definitely needed and is a great contributor, but how things were laid out at the old stadium for tailgating was much better. There needs to be an effort to make those six days of football an event both before and after the game. Close down Cullen hours before and hours after the game. Alumni will not like it but turn the parking lot on the south side into an event area with booths, bands. It could be a great revenue generator. Heck, I would be happy if during the game there was 30,000 in the stands and 20,000 people still outside watching local bands play and going to food vendors etc.

Make it an event like the rodeo six times a year that people in Houston looking forward to attending whether they get tickets to the game or not.

3 Likes

Has Gadfly ever had anything constructive to suggest or just constantly a Debbie downer? Me thinks DD. lol

2 Likes

Yes we have been approaching this thing the wrong way for too long. Who cares if be don’t have the traditional boola boola shish boom ba fan base. We have 7 million people in our area that like to have a good time. So give them a good time. Instead of offering a football game, offer them a first class party and you can stay for the game.

Beer, food, live music and pretty girls.

Also you need a kid friendly area as well.

If you don’t go cheap people will come out in droves. Spend the money, get good live entertainment, and Houstonians will come out in droves. Have them come out for the party and stay for the game. Then have another party afterwards.

If you do it right every craft brewer will want in on this.

tie some worthy charitable angle to the pre and post game party and you will have wealthy Houstonians and businesses helping out.

We can’t beat the Texans and the NFL shield based on pure football product offering. BUT you can have a hell of a lot better time on a Saturday night then you can have on a Sunday morning.

You want this to be the fall version of Rodeo.

4 Likes

Exactly, make it an event that people want to attend. In one single it always come back to MARKETING.

Coog51, good to have people with ideas. Who could start this?

1 Like

Well, the screen name that he chose for himself is Gadfly. That should probably explain what his intentions are on Coogfans.

2 Likes

My math is fine. But your reading comprehension is suspect.

2 Likes

OMG!!!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

UHCoog is right.

Well

First person is the guy that gives all the money and he should be pretty good at parties and hospitality.

The other thing that the “party first game second” line of thinking gives you is an offset to “I can just easily watch the game on ESPN+”.

1 Like

Agree. Keep doing what we have been doing and expecting
different results is that common definition of insanity. Even having
concert in the stadium post game might get the crowd inside sooner.

From an acoustic standpoint though I’m not sure TDECU is
properly equipped at this time. That PA system is lacking something still imho.

Has TDECU been used for any Non athletic Special events to date ( excluding some graduation
Commencement exercises ) ? It is approaching being 7 years old, but I don’t recall of
hearing anything else hosted there. Seems like an asset that could utilized more.

But yeah, I like the idea of experimenting with making “game day” something better.
But go big ; no noname performers.

1 Like

We used to have concerts after UH games and The Beach Boys played to a near empty astrodome. Maybe Guns N’ Roses would have drawn a bigger crowd but The Beach Boys were having a resurgence after the movie cocktail.

Did absolutely nothing to increase attendance.

I have no recollection of that event ! Not saying it didn’t happen , just for whatever
reason it never registered in my brain. Was it a whole season of concerts or a one off deal ?

Nevertheless this isn’t 1985 anymore. We have a much larger Houston ( both school and city) , mass transit to stadium, and many more kids that live on or near campus.
But the idea wasn’t just about a concert; I think the vision was for something more.

Tailgating: It appears to me tailgating has indeed declined with the move to TDECU.
I liked and enjoyed the permanent pavilions we had at Robertson. Are their plans to
bring those back or have we become space limited ? However, it’s Not clear to me if tailgating was
still growing or had reached a plateau. The setup we have now east of the stadium to Cullen is okay , but when you come out after the game it’s all gone and over. Not much you can do with that
since Cullen Blvd has to be returned to major thoroughfare in quick order. That part I dislike.

I was there they were terrible lol

I think that Beach Boys concert occurred around the 1990 season give or take a year or two. Also, when Chet Gladchuk was AD, I recall his having entertainers (singers/small bands) perform on makeshift stages outside Robertson prior to kickoff where tailgating was going on. I don’t think it influenced attendance to any great degree, but I still think that any future efforts to make the game day experience more appealing to the casual fan certainly couldn’t hurt.