Operations Bldg announcement soon

The whole east side of TDECU along Cullen is taken up by Alumni and student tailgating.

2 Likes

That’s a very old rendering. This is what Tech is putting in.

2 Likes

It’s a bit of an optical illusion. It’s full on Cullen because we don’t have many fans tailgating. But even during our big Herman years the atmosphere was great but the signs were there that a bigger crowd would cause some problems.

I understand why there was a metal fence around the alumni tailgates but it was cumbersome and destroyed flow.

i hate the space between the rail stop and the stadium…such a wasted opportunity, Moncoog is right, the entire layout was an afterthought…no actual thinking about traffic, walking/tailgating space and common areas…we need less concrete, pavers would look better…bring back the pavillions!!!

2 Likes

Thanks yeah to me that looks awesome, much better than that corner building originally planned by us, but I know Tech’s building probably cost more.

I think an end zone wide facility building on Cullen side and picturing the recruits looking out of coach’s office seeing the stadium is much better than corner side

I love the corner downtown view and also the practice facility view, rather they save that and build new building in end zone of cullen

1 Like

They want the operations building next to the practice facility.

2 Likes

Read that Tech’s new facilities will cost about 200 million

1 Like

I don’t see why we’re even entertaining (what appears to be) a mediocre ops building for $90 mil. I cringe when I say that because $90 is a TON of money.

My issue is that we’re playing catch up with the rest of the P5s. We need to go for the more expensive option to just compete on a level playing field. I wouldn’t build anything unless it’s going to be first-rate.

We will thank ourselves later for it.

9 Likes

If you’re just going to build a box with no appeal, 25,000 less square footage and hidden where no one can see it but people on the train, why build it? You’re building this facility mostly to attract recruits and recruits like bells and whistles.

7 Likes

Yes I agree. build a competitive facility if you have to wait a little longer to raise more funds then so be it. just don’t put the minimum up.

6 Likes

Thats easy to say when you don’t have to deal with the fall out of the decision or balance multiple stakeholders with different interests. Just build the nicer one… lmao Someone get Pez this brilliant message He needs to hear this!

1 Like

That’s why I said I cringed at thinking that $90 mil isn’t enough.

Go clutch your pearls somewhere else.

1 Like

With the arms race in college football, this argument is legitimate.

Solution:
“The Gallery Sports Football Facility”. Mack makes sizable donation, nice street signage with Gallery name, Mack furnishes the players lounge area so he gets some payback. Win, win.

6 Likes

I have actually joked about that but off this board. It would be a genious way to get funds and provide advertising for a big home town grown business by by someone that supports UH. I also agree dont half do this. If going to build this facility then do it right even if if means taking a little more time. Look at the shortcuts we had to take on designing and building TDECU. Dont do this with the ops facility! In a couple years the Big12 tv money kicks in fully and can assist some with the financing of all the bells and whistles option.

6 Likes

If the difference between a $140M facility and a $90M facility is no escalators and not enough men’s restrooms, pay the extra money. The players will thank you.

6 Likes

Sounds like a good idea but I would think he would want it named after him since he is up in age. Maybe “Jim McIngvale Football Operations Center”.

Businesses merge, change names or go out of business but a person’s name last forever.

2 Likes

Strange world. Isn’t he a horn though? He’s a great guy and philanthropist but i dont know how I’d feel about that. :thinking: :face_with_monocle:

Horn money spent on UH is just as good as Coog money spent on UH. He was a bench warmer at UT. I am not aware of any public allegiance to UT.

I know what you are asking though. If I was a UT supporter, I would be more upset that he was supporting UH than a UH supporter taking money from UT.

“UH supporter taking money from UT.” Has a nice sound to it.

3 Likes

No, the University of North Texas.

He sat the bench at UT and then transferred to UNT.

2 Likes