OT: Caleb Williams doesn't want to play for the Bears and may return to USC

I think it’s likely he keeps his name in the draft and the Bears trade

1 Like

This is ridiculous. He should feel lucky and blessed to be drafted to any team. As someone who is watching their kid on an emotional roller coaster with all of this NFL stuff, come down off your entitled pedestal and go with the flow.

43 Likes

Completely understand where you’re coming from, but from a technical perspective he’s probably just looking out for his future.

The Bears are a terrible organization and have been for some time. Similar to the Browns who routinely had great draft picks up until recently, their QBs ended becoming busts or going somewhere else.

Also, he probably doesn’t want to have to compete against Justin Fields, who the Bears are essentially building their organization around.

That being said, he’s living lavish at USC in the NIL era, so money is definitely not an issue. If it weren’t for NIL, then I would be 100% in agreement with your statement.

5 Likes

Yep too much entitlement.

5 Likes

He controls the market though. Caleb is in a different drivers seat compared to your son.

2 Likes

Twinmom is speaking from a personal point of view. All she’s saying is that Williams needs to have some self awareness.

3 Likes

I get that. Derek and Caleb are apples and oranges. Not comparing them at all. Entitlement won’t get him very far. No organization wants to be told who to draft and under what conditions.

14 Likes

See Eli Manning.

I haven’t read an official statement so I don’t know the tone of Caleb’s feelings, but as I said above, the NIL adds an entirely new dynamic even for the NFL draft.

NFL teams now have to consider that elite college players have no problem skipping a draft given they’re legally making NFL-type money in college.

It really makes it difficult for NFL teams especially if they don’t have a spot for top college players to get immediate starting spots. The Bears literally just drafted Fields 3 years ago. They aren’t just going to give up on Fields, and Caleb probably wants to be an immediate starter somewhere regardless of contract

Eli Manning’s dad thinks this is great news!

1 Like

That was early 2000s right? Plus dad had a lot of pull too. Caleb isn’t the only star player in this draft. He may or may not even go #1

3 Likes

Yes, but basically the same thing. A guy with pull using it.

2 Likes

But the business of football will over look that for projected talent.

John Elway did this before players had power. Now they hold the chips. This is the nasty part of the business. Teams can draft anyone available, but players have no choice. So if they voice early and they have enough draft stock they can pull this off. Not a bad thing to self advocate when you have a voice.

3 Likes

If it works for him, great. If he sways a team in his direction with his demands, cool. Didn’t his “camp” also claim he wanted a stake in the team that drafts him, or what that just hearsay?

2 Likes

To be clear, I don’t love it and didn’t when Eli did it either. I honestly forgot about it though until Caleb started talking about doing the same.

Agree with everything you said, but the NIL adds even more pressure to draft picks

Why should Caleb need to compete with Justin Fields? His best bet is to take that NIL money and wait for next year. He could probably even use the draft to bargain a better NIL deal.

Crazy (and sad) times we’re living in but it’s the way things are now

I mean, I hope he’s drafted to a team he really wants to be with and can excel at. I just don’t understand how someone can make such demands, no matter who they are, but like you said it’s the nature of the business now with NIL and what not.

2 Likes

If i were the Bears i would say “Don’t worry, we don’t think your a number one choice”

2 Likes

He’s free to ask for those assurances. However, the Bears and the league are free to tell him to pound sand as well.

I understand why there is a draft in pro sports but it takes away some freedoms from athletes, like chosing his employer. That’s partly why they are highly paid but I see no problem with someone trying to use whatever leverage they have to get the best deal for themselves - knowing the risks of injury or reputation that could affect any future moves made.

Just think if you were just to get drafted out of college to your chosen profession? Losing choice over the organization and location.

Jordan embraced the challenge of turning the Bulls into a winning organization. That’s what GOATS do. I want that mentality in who my organization picks

2 Likes