OT: Orlando might be fired from UT

Why does anyone on this board even care? Is it a love to hate thing or maybe blood relation?

Sumlin checked out 2 years before he bailed !!

5 Likes

Not from anything I’ve ever heard! Never offered at UH for lack of experience as Head Coach. Had his Pass Go card for Defensive coordinator with Hermroid. He definitely wanted the job, but to my best knowledge (think I had a very good source), he was never offered.

However, I posted last week that several big cigar donors at Whorns are demanding TO’s departure. Old school, die-hard, deep pockets that believe D wins championships. Interesting.

2 Likes

Jus’ saying the man had had some years here we hadn’t had for long time…that success brought it some pretty good talent. Now the SoMiss game that is whole another pain I’ve tried to forget

1 Like

I actually thought Sumlin was a good hire. He was a better head coach than Briles IMHO.

However, I think his assistants were better recruiters than him…and Levine was one of them.
Sumlin’s failing was that he could never get a D co-ordinator until the last year.

At least Sumlin left the staff in place for the bowl game. Cannot say the same for Briles or Herman…definition of not giving a sh!t !!

6 Likes

Yes Sir

Amazing how time gives history a different perspective…we wax nostalgic at how Sumlin left…we won against Penn State due to his decision and the staff.

Briles was flirting with Baylor and crapped the bed against Tulsa, and he had his cronies recruiting for Baylor while on the UH dime. That is what he gets heat for.

Sumlin was flirting with aTm the week we were preparing for our biggest game in modern history. If we had won that game, we would have played Michigan in the Sugar Bowl and it would have been Case Keenum’s crowning collegiate achievement. That is why he gets heat.

Herman’s departure was the worst of them all. He didn’t give a crap. Crapped on everything, ruined the season, stole the coaches (Orlando requested to stay for the bowl, Herman wanted him in Austin), and raided the recruiting class.

13 Likes

Plus he lied about it before the Memphis game.

3 Likes

The brightside guys is that no one will be coming after CDH :sunglasses:

2 Likes

His defensive backfield situation is in worse shape than ours.

Tough to be as aggressive as Orlando likes w/o a good secondary and certainly he uses that to pressure QB and snuff the run but the 6.6 yards per rush in Kansas at home is gonna get a DL coach fired.

1 Like

This is Herman’s third season there. He’s had time to get his own personnel, so doesn’t this fall on Herman as much as Orlando?

2 Likes

I remember everyone reporting LTH was running into nirvana based on Charlie Strong’s best recruiting class. Would be RS So or JRs on the roster. I guess Ehlinger’s quip “We’re back” just isn’t the case.

No, they are still in rebuild mode. Lost to two potential Final Four teams. I’m waiting for the Baylor matchup

1 Like

Didn’t he get like 4 top end DB’s in his first recruiting class? yeah, In 2018’s signing class he had five DBs ranked in the top ten of their position group. Three safeties and two CBs. They should have plenty of DB talent.

Edit: and another CB that was rated 15th best CB

They are playing 3 sophomores, none of whom redshirted. Both CBs are from Lamar. Safety from Angleton.

TAMU has over taken TU in the “Nobody Does Less With More” derby

$75M HC and richest FB program in D1, Top recruiting classes , etc

1 Like

They have 12 DBs that were rated 4-star or higher. There isn’t a talent problem. Even if half of them were misses in evaluation that’s a good starting 4.

1 Like

Never said it was talent. It’s injuries and inexperience