OT: The Dark Empire (THE Horns Down College Thread)

This, but they both had their runs in the ‘70’s and ‘80s. The Aggies’ problem is that they play in the toughest division of the toughest conference in the great ol’ USA.
Texas could have been beaten by lowly Kansas in Austin last week so you can bet some heads will roll if things don’t get better immediately. Unreal that Baylor is the lone undefeated team in the Big 12 going into today’s action.
Herman will probably make Orlando the human sacrifice to save his own job. Really, it’s hard for me to imagine Texas’ defense being that bad with all that five star talent. It made me sick to watch the Brimage kid from Brenham playing linebacker for them today. Remember, he committed to UH and then took off to Austin with Hermit…
The only thing that would have made it a better day would have been if the Aggies had lost at home, but Ole Miss is terrible.
Go Coogs, beat Central Tampa…

3 Likes

Actually MS State

SMU - Memphis being the primetime 7:30pm ABC game next Saturday is good trend. Should open eyes on where this conference is trending

4 Likes

Yep I read it wrong…MSU…

And don’t forget their opponents will get a penalty if they throw a horns down sign.

This is pathetic. UT has everything and they still can’t be dominant in football.

1 Like

Drunklin also sucking at Arizona, where he may get canned. He’ll probably get another year, but Tate’s a senior. They lost to a struggling Stanford team today to go 4-4, and they still have to play at Oregon and at Arizona State plus they get #12 Utah. Likely another Christmas at home for Wildcats.

I went over and read some of their posts so I could enjoy the crying. I didn’t post because I don’t post on other teams’ boards unless its conference games and then just for good sportsmanship conversation. No way I would want to say anything nice to the whorn fans; so, taking my mom’s advice, “If you can say anything nice, don’t say anything.”

2 Likes

Royal did have a nice career @ ut back in the dark ages, but he was NOT a great coach !!!

Over rated…Yes…Great…No !!

Urban Meyer…next ut coach !

Told you guys…the jury was still out on Herman !!

1 Like

I said he had a “great career.” He won three national championships, 11 conference championships in 20 tries, and six coach of the year awards. He never had a losing season, finished with a 167-47-5 record, and was named to the College Football Hall of Fame just a few years after he retired. If that’s not a great career feel free to enlighten us as to what exactly would qualify as one.

8 Likes

LTH: Fernando, get the pee cups ready…line’em up.

Go Coogs! Peace.

1 Like

Before Royal, Texas had never had an undefeated season and had never won the national championship. He accomplished both. As much as I hate Texas, I have to give the man the credit that he deserves.

3 Likes

Would be hilarious if it happened and Dana said “Thanks, but no thanks”.

2 Likes

I have to agree with you Oldtime, Royal was a great coach and has the skins on the wall to prove it. Like the man said, “You are what your record says you are.” DKR’s record speaks for itself. I can acknowledge accomplishments of players and coaches and still hate the school they accomplished them at. For example I have to acknowledge Earl Campbell was a great running back.

5 Likes

They wouldn’t pursue Dana—at least I don’t think so. I could see them pursuing someone like Kyle Whittingham, Dave Clawson, Bronco Mendenhall, or PJ Fleck. Not really any SEC coaches they’d be likely to pursue unless maybe Pruitt gets it going at Tennessee. If Herman ends up 7-5 (possible given they still have to play at Baylor and Iowa State) and has a similar season next year, welol, that gets you fired at UT. Mack III won a national championship and was forced out after averaging 8-9 wins his last three seasons.

1 Like

Well, except for OK, there were no teams in his conference when he won.

He signed about 100 players a year because ut had $$$$$$, and the PUF was in play then for athletics.

There was a reason he “retired” in 1976. It was called the 30 scholarship rule.

I said he had an great career, but he was NOT a great coach.

Try reading my reply again.

Slurp him if you chose.

2 Likes

“Slurp him?” Sorry I’m unfamiliar with adolescent slang.

1 Like

Thanks for saying I’m young :sunglasses:

Well, except for OK, there were no teams in his conference when he won.

I do believe that should be “Arkansas” instead of OK. SW conference stayed in business until 1996, DKR retired in 1976. Interesting that UH joined the conference in '77 . . . . . he must have had great fore sight . . . . .