OT: The Dark Empire (THE Horns Down College Thread)

We started competing in 1976 and DKR retired at the end of the 76 season after having been whipped 30-0 in Austin and having had to watch the Cougars win the conference, the Cotton Bowl, and finish #4 in the country.

15 Likes

Oldtime, I enrolled in night school at the age of 29 in 1976 and by the time I graduated in 1980, UH won the conference 3 of 4 years, won the Cotton Bowl twice, and finished in the top 10 three times – #4 in '76, #10 in '78, and #5 in '79. Those seasons we played a bunch of top 10 teams and beat them. Before I enrolled at UH I had been a lifelong LSU fan; but they were immediately surplanted by UH once I enrolled here.

These young guys think we started being good with Briles or Sumlin, some of the real young ones think it started with LTH. But there’s a reason Coach Yeoman has a statue in the TDECU plaza.

17 Likes

I stand corrected. Makes it even worse !!

1 Like

Arkansas had some very good teams during their SWC years. I do remember Texas and Ark being ranked 1 2 in the country and playing a great game, with Texas throwing a pass on a 4th down play to help seal the victory. But other than those two, the conference was pretty weak for years . . . . .

1 Like

so that’s who it is…mystery solved…thanks.

Yes, in the mythical national championship game.

1 Like

That was in the fall of 1969 while I was training at Chanute AFB in Champaign-Urbana Illinois.

1 Like

Texas has a tough upcoming slate with K-state, Iowa State, and Baylor. Could get ugly in Austin. :blush:

2 Likes

Wouldn’t surprise me.

The problem with the UT job is that the sense of entitlement and expectations of the fan base doesn’t match reality, and hasn’t matched reality since Darrell Royal was shooting fish in a barrel back in the day.
The big donors are incredibly obnoxious and have way too much influence (I know, a problem at many big football schools). It’s fun to watch the dysfunction, though.

8 Likes

Ohio State was his dream job. Why would go to UT after that?

No, He’s ESPN’s new Lou Holtz. He’ll be with them for 20 years at least.

Is UT Knoxville more of a graveyard than UT-Austin?

Maybe, but the one in Austin sends coaches to the hereafter with their pockets full of coins to cross Styx.

3 Likes

Both Ohio State and Norte Dame were his dream jobs. I doubt he comes back for UT.

UT topic #1 @Coogfans2ndAdmin and @pray10… please merge all the UT crap!

1 Like

I will be in Austin at the UT game wearing my UofH gear. My wife attended there and was given 2 tickets to the KSU game by a friend in the athletic office. Last time I made a game and was there for the TCU game (uofh played Memphis 2016) all of the UT fans said Herman is ours. Lol What is funny is I was there for the ND game earlier in the season wearing UofH stuff and they said we are back and complimented UofH as well. You guys will be in the big 12. Blah blah. I just wish we could be 8-0 like we are going to be next year at this point!

I wonder what they will say? We want a refund? You are not entitled to one. Keep him! Lol

1 Like

When were you last in Austin ? ? ? ? ? It’s been ugly there for years . . . . .

1 Like

Just a great day when Univ. Of Texas loses no matter who is coaching but even more sense Herman just pounced like he did. He stayed with Ohio State and coached the bowl game, but he jetted on us. I knew he was leaving as soon as he signed if he did well. Just thought he would show some class and coach the bowl game like he did with Ohio State.

2 Likes

and that is why
Scott Frost is a better person than Tom Herman

5 Likes

So did Sumlin for OU…