PAC 12 getting final offered from ESPN

You seriously think there will be a tv offer of $600-640 million a year to the new Big 12??? That is more than the PAC and Big 12 currently get combined on contracts that included UT/OU/USC. After all that money was spent on the Big 10 and SEC, I don’t think these networks are trying to just merge two conferences after removing the most valuable assets and pay more for that product.

We don’t know, but the Big XII contract won’t be huge, and Yormark will say the conference did its best (true), will find additional revenue sources (possibly), etc. And this board will go crazy proclaiming the Big XII is undervalued, blah, blah, because that’s how message boards react.

1 Like

Yes, the Big 12 has veiwership value, and ESPN saves money by destroying the PAC and consolodating value…instead of paying 2 conferences in 2 seperate contracts they consolodate the late night window content with the Big 12 and end up paying only one conference.

1 Like

Lets put it this way…if ESPN only offers the Big 12 16 mil per share, someone out there is going to see the bargain in getting those midwestern and mid Atlantic eyeballs…Surely ESPN grasps that unlike the PAC whom nobody is interested in, there is so much interest in the Big 12 product that they will have to pay for it to keep it…if you do want to keep it then youll have to pay more than 16 or even 24 mil. Maybe the ESPN offer is only 30 to 32 mil but that is probably enough to entice the 4 corners and keep a Turner, or Amazon from swooping in to get valuable Big 12 content at dirt cheap prices.

Yet, the PAC is the conference with 2-6 P2 worthy brands and this is all they can get.

How many P2 worthy brands are in the 2023 Big 12?
One- Kansas?

1 Like

We don’t know yet what ESPN will offer, and whether they will split the package with Fox, etc. If true the PAC was offered only $16 per school, and we don’t know this is true, then why just give money to the Big XII? Nobody is getting into a bidding war over our new conference.

It was reported a couple of weeks ago that final ESPN offer was 24.6 million…I do NOT think 16 million is correct…

1 Like

The PAC only has 2 high quality programs and 2 crappy ones that are carried by a high academic reputation…tv contract dollars are based on fan interest, eyeballs, subscriptions and advertising dollars. The Big 12 has those and the PAC doesnt. If you’re ESPN you probably assume that the highest value PAC entities end up as Fox products in the B1G…Now maybe ESPN forces the B1G to move on those products or they go to the Big 12? If ESPN could get them into the Big 12, how much are you willing to pay to keep them, and keep them from FOX? Denying Oregon and Washington to the B1G probably isnt worth the money…but still, i think it pays ESPN to kill the PAC and consolidate value… you may be right though that the ESPN offer to the Big 12 might be closer to 30 to 32 mil rather than 38 to 40 mil

Yes the XII can attain $40M TV money.

If Yormark can get a contract extension for tier 1 and 2, our first TV money will be $34M for 2025-26 and increase about $2M a year.

In addition, the XII tier 3 is through ESPN+ for $4M per school. Bowlsby said it is worth more than that so if Yormark can negotiate an additional $2M, we will make a minimum of $40M a year in TV money only.

This isn’t rocket science.

https://twitter.com/GavinHeckman/status/1565322094535184386?t=Qs-QXLOCRazZEyLaKWOARA&s=03

If you also count the money from the expanded playoffs which we will have 2 or 3 XII teams in it, bowl games and March Madness money, we could make between $55M and $65M for 2025-2026. Of course the B1G will make $100M, but I am okay with $65M.

1 Like

I think there will be more bidders for the Big 12 if the best ESPN offer is in the 16 to 24 mil range. Seriously, look at the tv ratings and viewership…if the top bid is 24 mil per share a Turner network or somebody would be insane to not jump at a cheaper entry into college football that has a huge viewership. I just cant believe nobody would want that media impact for bargain basement prices. The PAC is screwed because nobody wants to watch them…id personally prefer to watch paint dry than to watch PAC football…id only be interested in watching the 4 corners IF they played WVU and teams in our conference.

Provide espn sources that the PAC was offered:
$24M’s
$16M’s
More
…more importantly under what terms.
At present we have no idea what the offer is.
Why?
Because none of us are in the know in which conference O, W, Stanford and Cal will play.
These four schools leave? The PAC is done and out.
Now look at it with the stinky rodent point of view…yes that is a nasty picture.
Do you/espn want to give the West Coast market to FOX?
THAT IS the question for me.
Moreover if these four schools go to the big10 expect peanuts going to the BIG12.

65 mil would keep us competitive.

2 Likes

A lot of “ifs” in there. If you set the over/under at $35 million, I will bet the under hard. Appreciate the positive view from you guys though.

We have way too many valuable eyeballs in the Big 12 to only get a peanuts offer…if ESPN doesnt pay for those eyeballs, someone will.

You are correct, but only one “if” is important and that’s if Yormark can get the extension.

1 Like

ESPN is the only bidder for PAC content so they can set the bar anywhere they want. There are two bidders for the B12 content. In addition, by eliminating the PAC as a power conference they ESPN and Fox reduce the number of mouths at the P5 table to 4. In 10 years they will reduce the P4 to the P3.

1 Like

I would be shocked if we get $65M’s.
Please explain how you get to this figure if you compare it to the big10 that is getting $100M’s.

Good point.

We don’t need to match the BIG and SEC dollar for dollar. We just need enough money to compete.

History is replete with teams that win despite lack of resources. Those Miami teams in the 1980’s did not have a lot of money (at least not legit money :wink:). Yet they dominated.

You give schools the Big 12 schools $55M, and I promise you they can win big time, provided they have the right coaches in place.

1 Like

I don’t believe the BIG not actually get $100M. They got $75m. Assuming they expand, the contract goes up by like $10M.

I assume the SEC will get a similar amount, maybe slightly less due to its demographics.

Of course, both the BIG and SEC are in college football hotbeds; they play in front of 70-100K seat stadiums that sellout every Saturday, and they sell merch up the wazoo. When including local media deals, they probably get close to $100m (UGA, Bama, LSU, TAMU, UT, OU, OSU, Mich, MSU, PSU and Nebraska definitely do. UF and USC probably do as well).

This is the:
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
Miami had a well known “benefactor” when they dominated.
smu had one too.
Where is MIAMI today?
Where is smu today?
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN DEFINITION.
AUBURN
Cam Newton’s dad gets $300/400k just like that.
Did Auburn lose their championship?
NOPE
USC’s Regie Bush gets caught?
USC lose their championship and almost get the death penalty.
I will add the PAID SNITCHES:
the puf funded university located in Austin friends in the ncaa going after us.