PAC Expansion

I’m perfectly lucid. I’ll ask the question again.

The answer to every question:

1 Like

Yes, I watch zero PAC games as most of us do here in Texas.
Their consultants are telling them that has to change.

6 Likes

It is old news, but I had not seen it before. What I also found interesting was to read the discussion of the other potential programs. The picture that emerges is much more favorable for UH, along with Texas Tech, for solid programs that would gain the Texas markets.

4 Likes

I watch zero Big Ten games and they’re already in the Central time zone.

The problem we have to sell is our attendance when making the argument that we can help deliver the central time zone.

You can’t just say, “we need You to get Them to watch Us.

If that’s all there is to it then they could just schedule their OOC games against central time zone schools and thereby keep their money and keep their pacific, west coast culture intact.

I think we need to offer a lot more than a time zone to be attractive…like a winning program that generates revenue.

It would be a shame to have the 2nd most populated state have only 2 P5/P4 schools yet have 4 in North Carolina, 2 in South Carolina and 2 in Penn. I get the 4 in California and 3 in Florida but only 2 in Texas someone has to see an opportunity here.

12 Likes

The problen is that with a west coast based conference and no CTZ games, you have no PAC-12 option to even watch for the early games. At least with games in the CTZ, you may watch them or not, at least you have a choice.

1 Like

People forget the Pac has a massive market on the west coast plus Phoenix, Denver, and to a degree SLC. Neither Tech nor UH nor any Irate will effectively improve their ratings anywhere out there.
They don’t identify with Texas.

Now if your argument is we can hold our own after a decade in some of those markets then its a hard point to argue on either side but not one I would discount. So probably so.

The point is expanding your market is great if you can do it without putting up a huge down payment. But which programs fit that criteria while simultaneously growing your TV and streaming in your own far reaching market.

I don’t know. I don’t have access to any of the data. But its an uphill climb. I just hope we have our best salesmen and saleswomen developing a great proposal.

2 Likes

Nobody disputes that PAC has the west coast market. The problem is that is all they have. Where is growth that would add value going to come from? There is 2/3s of the country that has no interest in the PAC

Acc is all east coast market

Exactly, the east coast is where the population is.

1 Like

80 million in pac represented states

1 Like

And they can make it 115 million by adding Texas & Oklahoma

1 Like

Take note here for a moment please. I just moved FROM LA and I am not the only one. I moved to Nevada but I know several people who moved to TEXAS. There is a decided trend to leave California now. It may not be a matter of the schools in Central time zones moving to the PAC but the PAC following it’s market?

1 Like

California is still growing. It’s not growing nearly as fast as Texas. But it will be okay.

I don’t watch any Big 10, SEC or ACC games. I watch AAC games because they’re the teams we play the most and their games matter to UH the most.

But I do watch Pac 12 games. They (and MWC) games are on when I get home from UH games. I’ve believed for 6 or 8 years that our best chance to move up is with the PAC, so it interests me. And they’re on at night.

But we don’t have to have ratings like USC or Oregon to add value to the PAC. And maybe playing Houston won’t raise Cal. ratings. But they don’t have to. Not every business expansion is easy or a given.

The point of expansion is to build new market share. And Texas is the second biggest place to find that. And the PAC will have some sort of business analysts study additional teams and see what they come up with. But adding Texas, OK and another program would nearly double the households in which there could be interest in the PAC potentially. Add that to a scheduling alliance to build interest in other parts of the country, and that is a recipe for increasing market share and revenues, IMO.

Maybe the PAC expands, maybe it doesn’t. But it’s not a dumb idea or an impossibility. And it’s not a dumb idea or impossible that that expansion includes UH.

1 Like

It seems, according to Switzer, that the reason given as to keeping UH out of B12 was it would hurt B12 recruiting in Houston. They seemed to know UH would be a power if brought up to P5, so keep them in G5. I went to games in the Astrodome in the 70’s and we were a power.

2 Likes

Dana Dimel said the same thing as Switzer.

Saw this gem on the TCU fan site.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/1430248974611517444

Lol. It’s basically Wednesday.